Beer and Health

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sager Brewing Co.

Reaction score
My wife gives me a hard time about drinking beer sometimes. She doesn't like most beer, she will drink wine and Cider sometimes.

Now I don't drink a lot of beer, I rarely drink more then two pints in a day. And I never drink to excess(never get drunk). I enjoy beer for its taste.

My wife always tries to tell me that its bad for me and that because my father was an alcoholic that I am genetically prone to be an alcoholic. Now I know that that could be possible, however I tend to believe that addictions are a cop out for poor self control(no offense to anyone who struggles with addictions), I have never been addicted to anything. I know people who have been 'addicted' to things and were able to stop when they really put their mind to it. I also believe in the power of the mind and the ability to change the way I feel through concentration and positive thinking.

Now I am just rambling, what I started this post for is to link this: Spaten. Taste the Munich flavor - Beer and your Health

It is a cool little list from the Spaten web site about the health benefits of Beer.

This is a difficult argument if someone has already made up their mind about anything. It would probably be best to agree to disagree.

That being said, here is an article I found on Google Scholar:
Nutritional and Health Benefits of Beer.

Southwestern Internal Medicine Conference
American Journal of the Medical Sciences. 320(5):320-326, November 2000.
Denke, Margo A. MD

Abstract:
Physicians should be aware of the growing evidence supporting the nutritional and health benefits of moderate consumption of alcohol as part of a healthy lifestyle. The recently approved voluntary label on wine ("the proud people who made this wine encourage you to consult your family doctor about the health effects of wine consumption") implies that physicians should promote wine as the preferred source of dietary alcohol. However, studies evaluating the relative benefits of wine versus beer versus spirits suggest that moderate consumption of any alcoholic beverage is associated with lower rates of cardiovascular disease. From a nutritional standpoint, beer contains more protein and B vitamins than wine. The antioxidant content of beer is equivalent to that of wine, but the specific antioxidants are different because the barley and hops used in the production of beer contain flavonoids different from those in the grapes used in the production of wine. The benefits of moderate alcohol consumption have not been generally endorsed by physicians for fear that heavy consumers may consider any message as a permissive license to drink in excess. Discussions with patients regarding alcohol consumption should be made in the context of a general medical examination. There is no evidence to support endorsement of one type of alcoholic beverage over another. The physician should define moderate drinking (1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men) for the patient and should review consumption patterns associated with high risk.

Now I am not saying drinking = health, but there are some debatable benefits for both beer and wine. If you and the misses decide to debate the subject set up some rules before hand and agree to do the debate in a way that benefits your marriage and not tear it apart.

Good luck!

Most physicians would say that 2 pints a day is excessive (I drink 2-3 a day myself).

The benefits gained may equal or outweigh the detriments from the alcohol and carbs.

I just make sure I hit the gym 5 days a week. Ain't giving up my beer. I work too hard for it ;)

short term studies have shown taht up to two drinks a day did not show any negative effects on daily activities or hormone levels. after two drinks though most have show that testosterone levels start to fall, estrogen and cortisol levels increase, all bad things

have yet to see any credible long term studies though.

Ya my fiance gives me crap all the time about beer, She has a point sometimes because I am a diabetic and have been all my life. I take insulin and that being said beer is not a great mix with it. I work out and maybe should do it a little more. I love beer, love the taste, love the smell and love all different kinds. I know I need to keep my health very well controlled but I also dont want to give up beer.

Ya my fiance gives me crap all the time about beer, She has a point sometimes because I am a diabetic and have been all my life. I take insulin and that being said beer is not a great mix with it. I work out and maybe should do it a little more. I love beer, love the taste, love the smell and love all different kinds. I know I need to keep my health very well controlled but I also dont want to give up beer.

That's hard- because you know how serious diabetes is and why she worries. For most of us, with no health issues, I think the risk can be overblown. Is my 2-4 pints a day considered healthy? Probably not.

But I think we can mitigate some of the risks, too. I don't eat fried foods or drink soda. I exercise and am very fit. Actually, for my age, I'm in fantastic shape. I take NO medications. I am at a healthy weight, and eat only healthy foods. My one indulgence is the beer.

I think it's more of a health risk for those who also eat pizza with their beer, and don't exercise, and eat junk food, or, worse, smoke. For diabetics, proper blood sugar control is important, and of course beer has lots of carbs. That just absolutely sucks.

Gentlemen,

The head, 'genius' doctor over all the other 25 doctors at
'Baylor Hospital' 'severe tramatic brain injury rehab ward,'
told me once:

"Jack, one beer a day won't hurt you."
Have some food in your stomach...
don't drink it too fast...
but one beer' will not hurt you."

{...I'd better stop there}

J. Knife and Sandymay

I think YooperBrew has a real point about the total balance of intake. If you sit on your butt all day and eat nothing but chili-fries and candy bars then it is probably a bad idea to add a ton of alcohol to that mix on a daily basis. That reality doubles if you have a pre-existing condition like diabetes. But if you eat right and exercise, etc then it doesn't carry the same risk.

My father is a retired Southern Baptist Preacher and spent many years hammering into his kids that any alcohol = bad no-no. For those of you who don't know, most Southern Baptists don't even use wine to take communion...they use grape-juice. I'm not saying every single Baptist, just that the general consenses is to avoid all alcohol. Obviously I don't share that view because I don't just consume it, I make it!! :mug:

But as my father aged he bagan to mellow (ironically just like the beer he was opposed to...) and redefined his definition of "alcoholic" vs. alcohol consumption. Lately he says that what defines the difference between alcoholism and just enjoying alcohol is the ability to walk away. He says, if you HAVE to have the beer and can't go without it even for one night, then you may have an issue worth addressing. But just enjoying the beer does not automatically lead to a problem. Can you live without it for a night?

Just my two-cents... :)

-Tripod

PS - It is not my intention to get into a battle over religion through this post and I apologize if it offends and So. Baptist out there. I'm just trying to share my view that happened to come from a very strick religious background.

Read This:
http://www.brewersofeurope.org/docs/publications/pdf-Mei04.pdf

At two drinks per day, you should be at your healthiest.
One study mentioned in the above article is one I find particularly interesting. Two groups of people ate the same number of calories, except one group drank 2 drinks per day (men) or 1 drink per day (women). So, to be clear, the alcohol group was consuming more calories than the non-alcohol group, but there was no difference in weight gain or loss between the groups. That means that we can drink up to two drinks per day and not worry about getting fat. (edit: if we're men.)

Well I drink a quart or more a day, and smoke a pack of cigs a day too. I eat greasy foods. I take xanax for anxiety (only in morning so I can drink at night). Im sure im not going by the guidelines. But I am in great shape. Every physical I have, or doctor appointment to get more xanax he tells me all is good but my blood pressure is a little high, probably due to smoking. Every time.

That's hard- because you know how serious diabetes is and why she worries. For most of us, with no health issues, I think the risk can be overblown. Is my 2-4 pints a day considered healthy? Probably not.

But I think we can mitigate some of the risks, too. I don't eat fried foods or drink soda. I exercise and am very fit. Actually, for my age, I'm in fantastic shape. I take NO medications. I am at a healthy weight, and eat only healthy foods. My one indulgence is the beer.

I think it's more of a health risk for those who also eat pizza with their beer, and don't exercise, and eat junk food, or, worse, smoke. For diabetics, proper blood sugar control is important, and of course beer has lots of carbs. That just absolutely sucks.

Ya it sucks but I try not to drink too much during the week. I have a few on the weekends but watch how much I drink and watch what I eat at the same time plus check my blood more. I also exercise alot which helps.

There is a new study out that says that while beer is pretty darn good for you if in moderation - it also kills a LOT of brain cells no matter how much you drink so there is a trade off.

I figure I;ll live longer but be even MORE dumber.

Gentlemen,

I sincerely believe that I have found
not only a good compromise between:
[Beer' vs. 'no beer.]
A wholesome, healthy and a much more productive way to live.
I spend my monthly disability check on enough beer
to last only a week or ten days,
ie. 100 beers.
{Now this obviously doesn't work during cool weather brewing season.}
{Which will be here when my check gets here}
{in two weeks and one day!}

But I get a week or two's worth of beer and wine,
and say, 'steel and sandpaper' for the knife shop,
materials for finishing my poultry 'show coop,'
a great buy on 'traps' from Ebay,
{enough materials to keep me busy
the two weeks I am out of beer.}
{Like now}
{Its not funny}

But, the first week or ten days of the month
I can drink all the beer I want!
While sitting back and admiring the work I accomplished
the 'last two weeks' of 'last month'.
And when I run out of beer
I have 'two weeks' worth of work to do.
Like now,
today I trenched around the perimeter fencing of the 'show coop'
so to fill the ditch with concrete after the fencing is installed.
{The fencing, a few inches lower than ground level,
down in the concrete}
{To make {6' x 100'} 'Poultry run'
'hog tight' at the bottom}
That and 'finish sanded' one side of a 'skinner' I am making,
and wire brushed, tuned and marked two #3 ls/os coyote traps.

I hope to finish the show coop,
wire brush, tune up and mark 13 more,
{of 20} traps, I got off Ebay,
and get a few knives ready for sale
before the next check comes.
I drink lots of water and
'let my liver grow back'.

Then for a week or two sit around drinking beer
and admiring the work I am doing now.

Hey!
I just had a friend come by
who brought some beer!
I'm not kidding!
Bye ya'll

J. Winters VonKnife
http://jacksknifeshop.tripod.com/

There is a new study out that says that while beer is pretty darn good for you if in moderation - it also kills a LOT of brain cells no matter how much you drink so there is a trade off.

I figure I;ll live longer but be even MORE dumber.

This is my understanding:

While alcohol is toxic to all living tissues, it doesn't usually kill brain cells. That is because of the miraculous molecule alcohol dehydrogenase, but that's another story.

Alcohol inundates neural synopses with calcium ions, which have to be removed before a charge can be created across the synapse. This damage is largely reversible, but the more you drink, the longer it takes to reverse it. Drinking to the point of blackout, even once, will significantly and permanently alter brain function.

But moderate drinking (that is, 2 drinks of 5-6% ABV beer or 3 drinks of 3-4.9% ABV beer for a man, one less for a woman), other than acute intoxication, will not significantly or permanently alter brain function.

As I see it, moderation is key in any aspect of life, and it is a general lessen we must learn in order to have a healthy life.

Not trying to be a post-whore, but I found this from a .edu site (so it must be valid).

Does Drinking Alcohol Kill Brain Cells?

by David J. Hanson, Ph. D.

Scientific medical research has actually demonstrated that the moderate consumption of alcohol is associated with better cognitive (thinking and reasoning) skills and memory than is abstaining from alcohol. Moderate drinking doesn’t kill brain cells but helps the brain function better into old age. Studies around the world involving many thousands of people report this finding.

Reference:
Ganguli, M., et al. Alcohol consumption and cognitive function in late life: A longitudinal community study. Neurology, 2005, 65, 1210-12-17.

Find this article here:
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/HealthIssues/1103162109.html

I don't eat fried foods or drink soda. I exercise and am very fit. (...snip...) I think it's more of a health risk for those who also eat pizza with their beer, and don't exercise, and eat junk food, or, worse, smoke.

****. Yooper's talkin about me again. Time to hide.

Srsly, I haven't exercised in 2 years, I don't drink water (stuff's bad for ya), I don't eat fruits or veg's. I eat dairy, meat, and carbos, preferably fried. And I drink minimum 3 pints a night. Usually 5. More on weekends. But I'm also about 80lbs above my target weight. Eh, ya live and learn.

I'm mostly just a lurker and "absorber" around here, but fantastic information. Thank you all for sharing and (hopefully) doing your research :)

****. Yooper's talkin about me again. Time to hide.

Srsly, I haven't exercised in 2 years, I don't drink water (stuff's bad for ya), I don't eat fruits or veg's. I eat dairy, meat, and carbos, preferably fried. And I drink minimum 3 pints a night. Usually 5. More on weekends. But I'm also about 80lbs above my target weight. Eh, ya live and learn.

Chris, here's the funny part- I'm twice your age, and I'm a thin (about 135 pounds), fairly petite woman with lots of muscles. And I could kick your ass!

When I was your age, the only reason I exercised was because the Army made me. Now, I keep in great shape so I can play hockey. I really think age changes things- and most people will tell you I don't look my age because my body is still young. When you turn thirty, you'll start to rethink your lifestyle! When you turn forty, you'll either be "old", or you'll be fit. I LOVE it when my college aged daughter is assumed to be my friend at a bar! I'm in better shape than she is, and she's bigger than I am, though.

Ahoy hoy,
Beer saved my life. For the last 15 years I had been cursed with a reoccurring stomach ailment that would put me fetal and dehydrate me to the point of needing IVs. I would miss 3-5 days work at a shot. At least 2 times a year, since about 1992. Doctors stated I must have a "weak system" without ever offering a glimpse of hope as to what caused it.
I hadnt drank beer since I was 21, due to my false reasoning that i thought I hated beer. Turns out I just hated BMC and the other football beers. I found craft beers about a year and a half ago. Since I started to imbibe 2 -3 beers in the evening, I havent gotten sick, other then a cold, for over a year and a half now, for the first time since the early 90s. There is little doubt in my family that beer is the wonder drug that changed my life for the better. And since I live in Alaska, some beers just arent available, unless you make them yourself. So my wife bought me a homebrew kit at Xmas 2007. Ive been brewing 2-4 times a month at a minimum since. Nuff Said :)
I hope this helps you with your better half.
I bid you all a great day!

Australia's National Health and Medical Research Council released draft guidelines warning that more than two drinks a day posed a health risk.

Just repeating a new study

The new research, published in the journal Archives of Neurology, showed that a little more than one drink a day is enough to accelerate the natural ageing process of brain shrinkage, which occurs at a rate of about 1.9% a decade. Researchers at Wellesley College, Massachusetts, had thought moderate drinking might have a protective effect and reduce shrinkage, in the way that moderate red wine consumption protects against heart disease.

But the opposite effect was discovered and the brain was consistently smaller the more people drank, regardless of age, weight or education background.

Not that that will make me NOT drink 1 or 2 a day!

Were they measuring the size of the brain? Because brain size has been shown to be a very very poor indicator of cognitive ability within a species. THIS study shows that cognitive ability increases as frequency (not quantity) of consumption increases. They write:

"Compared with abstainers, persons drinking one or two glasses of alcohol per day had a significantly lower risk of poor cognitive function"

"In terms of cognitive function, we found that frequent drinking may be more beneficial than drinking only on special occasions"

The researchers noted that drinkers tended to earn more and have higher levels of education than nondrinkers. "Moderate consumption could be a proxy marker for good mental and physical health and for high socioeconomic position, both of which are related to good cognitive performance"...

..."Alternatively, alcohol may have a causal effect via improved vascular function, which is itself associated with good cognitive ability in the general population"

Sorry if this has been stated. I took a nutrition class last semester and we learned that moderate use of alcohol is not unhealthy. Moderate was defined as two beers a day.

The 1 or 2 per day might depend on the volume. Is a pint a glass, or more? What is the alcohol content? 12 oz. of Bud might be considered the same as a glass of wine, but a pint of IPA has MUCH more alcohol than that Bud.

I usually have a glass or two of IPA (cause it's on tap) but might instead have one or two of something lighter, or go without beer for a few days.

With all due respect, I think the topic of alcohol and health has been done to death over the years. I play rugby so I'm in arguably the best shape of my life. I don't smoke and I avoid processed foods with multi-syllabic unpronounceable ingredients. Studies that try to draw a causal relationship between alcohol consumption and good health always seem to ignore other pattern complementary behaviors that are more deleterious to health that tossing back a few pints with regularity- diet, a sedentary lifestyle, smoking, etc.

With all due respect, I think the topic of alcohol and health has been done to death over the years. I play rugby so I'm in arguably the best shape of my life. I don't smoke and I avoid processed foods with multi-syllabic unpronounceable ingredients. Studies that try to draw a causal relationship between alcohol consumption and good health always seem to ignore other pattern complementary behaviors that are more deleterious to health that tossing back a few pints with regularity- diet, a sedentary lifestyle, smoking, etc.

Give this man/woman an award. I have been telling my friends/family this for years. Drinking some good all-natural beer is way healthier than 99% of the processed garbage people eat on a regular basis. The key to staying healthy is eating a proper diet and exercising.

The 1 or 2 per day might depend on the volume. Is a pint a glass, or more? What is the alcohol content? 12 oz. of Bud might be considered the same as a glass of wine, but a pint of IPA has MUCH more alcohol than that Bud.

I usually have a glass or two of IPA (cause it's on tap) but might instead have one or two of something lighter, or go without beer for a few days.

That's exactly right. 1 beer was defined as a 12 oz bottle of "common" stuff. Of course that's an average because everyone has a different susceptibility to alcohol. For example, a moderate amount for a woman is considered 1 to 1.5 drinks. That's not sexism, that's biology.

Gentlemen,

A drink a day...
two drinks a day...
Hell.
I remember a movie where old 'Buffalo Bill' himself
was drinking whisky out of a two quart 'picture'.
And with a straight face and utmost concern said:

"The doctor said I can only have one drink a day."

J. Winters VonKnife

I went to the Doctor with a sharp pain in my lower back. He asked me what I had been doing different. I replied I just gotten a motorcycle and been riding it to work everyday. So he did a kidney fuction test, it turned out I had what he called "kidney sand", like stones only smaller and they were causing the irritation. His advice was to drink lots of clear liquids, so I asked how much water I was supposed to be drinking. His response, " Water is okay but beer is better, it'll clear you out faster". He wouldn't write an Rx :( Thats was 25 years ago, no kidney troubles since :D

I think my Godfather had it right all along. See my signature below, translated "Water is for washing not drinking, beer is for drinking."

Rick

It's all how you live life. I like to consume a fair amount of beer and other alcoholic beverages I am 39 and can keep up with my 18 year old neighbor kids playing football or whatever they want to do. I feel great and have not had any health problems.

I believe everything that you eat or drink is OK for you in moderation. Just look at the studies that are done one year they tell you that tea is bad for you and then several years later they tell you that tea is OK. We all go sometime might as well be happy!

"The doctor said I can only have one drink a day."

J. Winters VonKnife

I agree; two is pushing it!

photo1-beer.jpg

:mug:

Back