Kasteel Donker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/212/1711

Yup is a quad!

Pours a dark brown. If you hold a light up against it it looks almost crimson and is actualy very clear.

Aroma is fruit and raisin with some alcohol warmth. I'm a bit intimidated but am man enough to press on.

My oh my. Raisin character carries over, carmel, woody, dark fruit. Big alcohol warmth and an almost slick feel.

I swear by the dusty underpants of sweet Jesus this is one of the better beers I've ever had. Very complex but well balanced at the same time. If you can find it get it. This is the kind of beer you would love to date but would be too hard core to meet the folks. A get hitched drunk on tequila in Vegas kind of beer. I am thinking of doing terrible, nasty things to this beutifull sexy beer.

Ok, the weasel man is drunk again, but seriously buy this beer.

Did you review it on beer advocate as well... you should post the review in both places.

Did you review it on beer advocate as well... you should post the review in both places.

I sure did not. I might just go do that though.

I was quite drunk when I originaly posted this but my thoughts are the same today as I drink another.

Just a wonderfully crafted brew and a tribute to the begian style of brewing.

Just had my first Kasteel Donker last night during a brewing session. It has as style all its own. In fact we liked it very much. We compared it to an Irish Red we made from First runnings which must me about 6% alcohol Not the same for sure.

I was looking around for a grain bill and instructions on how to make a clone.

Haven found it yet i will keep looking

If you have not tried a Donker I agree with Redweasel that you should try one. You cant swill it like my wheat in sneakers. This things got high heals and no top.

We tried that kasteel a few weeks ago, it's one of the more common supermarket beers over here. But we too thought it was way too sweet, in fact, this was one of few rare occations at which we decided to tip away half a glass. It may be a good dessert beer though, but not our idea of a great friday evening beer.

Bringing back an old thread since a friend just shared one of these with me. I thought it was quite good. Anyone ever attempt to make a clone of this? I did find a recipe with Belgian pilsner, special b, aromatic, caramunich I, and carahell. It also had dark Belgian Candi and brown sugar. Sound about right? The yeast used was wlp530. The recipe listed is only at 8.2 abv though, whereas the Donkel is 11.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I will definitely give this a shot in September since I have a vacation soon.

Bringing back an old thread since a friend just shared one of these with me. I thought it was quite good. Anyone ever attempt to make a clone of this? I did find a recipe with Belgian pilsner, special b, aromatic, caramunich I, and carahell. It also had dark Belgian Candi and brown sugar. Sound about right? The yeast used was wlp530. The recipe listed is only at 8.2 abv though, whereas the Donkel is 11.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I will definitely give this a shot in September since I have a vacation soon.
Somewhere on here is a thread about making your own candi syrups. I've done it a time or two for quads, one of the temperature steps yields a deep mahogany color and a dark, fruity "bowl full of cherries" flavor that sounds like just the ticket for this beer. Thanks for digging this old girl up, the Donker is worth the effort.

Edit: I believe it was 290f that yielded the raisin/cherry flavors. I still have a couple of jars leftover from last time. White sugar + DAP.

I just watched a video on making Belgian candi. It looks quite interesting and delicious at the same time. I will definitely have fun putting this all together. Now I am off to study more about the quad style.

Back