Hit up the Liquor Store today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I got some goodies for tonight....and maybe for tomorrow night as well:D

29coos0.jpg

1/2 Gallon Growler from local microbrew. Support your local Micro Brew!

I went to Lee's Discount Liquor today, but to a different location. They were so much bigger, and had a much better beer selection. I've been looking to try the Stone Anniversary Ale. If I like it, I may go back tomorrow for more.

Nice to see the hen's tooth.

Hen's Tooth
There's only one description for Hen's Tooth – the nearest thing to real ale in a bottle.
Its balanced blend of strong, rich flavours (6.5% abv) leads to a satisfyingly smooth, clean finish. The active yeast in the bottle continues to condition and mature the ale through its life, producing not only the wonderful flavours but also a smooth, foamy head.

Hope it ain't skunkered.

Young's Oatmeal,,,,,, is that brewed in the UK? I've not seen it before.
I wonder if it's export only.

orfy said:
Nice to see the hen's tooth.

Hen's Tooth
There's only one description for Hen's Tooth – the nearest thing to real ale in a bottle.
Its balanced blend of strong, rich flavours (6.5% abv) leads to a satisfyingly smooth, clean finish. The active yeast in the bottle continues to condition and mature the ale through its life, producing not only the wonderful flavours but also a smooth, foamy head.

Hope it ain't skunkered.

I can bring myself to buy beer in clear bottles any more. It sucks that so many English ales are in clear glass.:( I guess I will have to make own (or something similar).

Beerrific said:
I can bring myself to buy beer in clear bottles any more. It sucks that so many English ales are in clear glass.:( I guess I will have to make own (or something similar).

We don't get that much sun over here and there is a fast turn around of the beer it comes in and goes out straight away. No time for skunkering.

UPDATE...

24v8zt3.jpg

EMPTY growler. And 5 gallons of Apfelwein waiting to be bottled this weekend. Also, I'm propagating Pacman yeast from a Rogue Santa's Private Reserve Ale in the Powerade bottle. It's slow taking off, but I am seeing signs of activity.

BTW, another update. My daughter. She is 17 weeks old as of yesterday.

ekn8za.jpg

orfy said:
Young's Oatmeal,,,,,, is that brewed in the UK? I've not seen it before.
I wonder if it's export only.

Quite possible... they don't list it on their site, they also didn't list their double chocolate... I had their Oatmeal a couple days back, not bad but could be better... As for their double chocolate....:rockin:

DeadYetiBrew said:
Quite possible... they don't list it on their site, they also didn't list their double chocolate... I had their Oatmeal a couple days back, not bad but could be better... As for their double chocolate....:rockin:

Yeah, I'ver had their Double Choco numerous times, thats why I went with the Oatmeal. It's good, but I agree, it could be better.:D

Personally, I am not a big fan of the chocolate stout. Something about chocolate in beer, I just can't seem to get into it, plus I find it a little sweet.

Now I see what you are buying these days. Folks have been wondering where you've been hiding the Silver bullet. :D

TallysNewBrews.jpg

Quite possible... they don't list it on their site, they also didn't list their double chocolate... I had their Oatmeal a couple days back, not bad but could be better... As for their double chocolate....

Yeah, I'ver had their Double Choco numerous times, thats why I went with the Oatmeal. It's good, but I agree, it could be better.

Please explain. I love Young's Oatmeal Stout. I prefer it to Samuel Smiths. So, besides your homebrew oatmeal stout, what is better?

doubleb said:
Please explain. I love Young's Oatmeal Stout. I prefer it to Samuel Smiths. So, besides your homebrew oatmeal stout, what is better?

That's funny, I actually like The Samuel Smiths a little better :D

I haven't had any HB Oatmeal Stout yet. It's next on my To-Brew list:rockin:

talleymonster said:
That's funny, I actually like The Samuel Smiths a little better :D

I haven't had any HB Oatmeal Stout yet. It's next on my To-Brew list:rockin:

X2.... Sam Smith has a bit more flavor, complexity, and maltiness.... The Young's is a bit like someone just tossed a couple lbs of oatmeal into the mash instead of building a recipe that compliments itself... Don't get me wrong it's a great beer just not as good as it should be...

hmmm..

I think the large amount of oatmeal in the youngs is what I like. The flavor is more pronounced. I'm going to a good liquor store today so I'm gonna try and find one or two oatmeal stouts to try.

UPDATE...

The Hen's Tooth was skunked. Skunked bad! I hate to say it, but the skunkiness reminded me of a Heineken :eek:

290pjps.jpg

I guess that's just how it is with clear bottles. That's why when I buy Newcastle, I buy it in the "loose 24 pack". It's completely sealed from the light, and goes right into my fridge. :cross:

I was lucky to find the Stone 11th at my local BevMo. I bought a case 'cause that stuff goes FAST!!!! It's extremely hoppy and makes the mouth pucker up a bit. I tried really hard to notice the hints of dark malt added to it, but the sheer hoppiness of it gets in the way. Their website said that it isn't really one to keep around, but I have a feeling that it will age beautifully.

(Kinda funny, but I made one with lighter malt just a few months before theirs came out and it tastes very similar to the Stone. Definitely big on the dry hopping for this one. You can't miss the Centennial and Chinook hops.)

Went to the store today to get a XI. None left, sold out in 2 days or so from the last time I checked. KNEW I should have bought it the first time.

Scored some Oaked AB instead. It'll have to do. So pissed right now. Terrible day.

PseudoChef said:
Went to the store today to get a XI. None left, sold out in 2 days or so from the last time I checked. KNEW I should have bought it the first time.

Scored some Oaked AB instead. It'll have to do. So pissed right now. Terrible day.

ohiobrewtus said:
Damnit, I need to find some Stone XI somewhere.

Man, I didn't even have to look for the XI...it kinda just jumped out and bit me. But the 7-7-07 I absoulutely could not get ahold of here in Las Vegas. I ended up having to buy a case of it online:drunk:

Back