Inexpensive BIAB bags!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F250

Reaction score
These may not be the answer for everyone, but I thought I give you guys a heads up on these. These are 5 gallon paint strainer bags that I bought off Amazon for a dollar a pop plus shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P6WMIK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They are perfect for my 8 gallon pot when the false bottom is in it.

And just for fun a glamor shot of my latest bitter. :cross:

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
That's def cheap. I was gunna go to homer cheapo or blowe's for the same thing. I need the bucket lid opener anyway.

That's def cheap. I was gunna go to homer cheapo or blowe's for the same thing. I need the bucket lid opener anyway.

Last time I looked at strainer bags at the Borg they were like 5 or 6 bucks. I don't reuse them so I wanted a less expensive option. These appear to be identical to the ones at the paint store only cheaper in cost.

Rick

The ones I have found at the big blue store are two for $5, I think. The brand is blue hawk. I believe they are 5gal

Sounds like yours are the cheapest. Even my lhbs have them in the 5G size for 6 bucks & change each. But they look like they'd fit a taller,skinnier kettle better than the shorter,wider one I have. I'll have to take a look.

unionrdr said:
Sounds like yours are the cheapest. Even my lhbs have them in the 5G size for 6 bucks & change each. But they look like they'd fit a taller,skinnier kettle better than the shorter,wider one I have. I'll have to take a look.

I use a 20 qt kettle which is a little taller and thinner. The bags fit the top pretty tightly. Sounds like they may not work for you.

Last time I looked at strainer bags at the Borg they were like 5 or 6 bucks. I don't reuse them so I wanted a less expensive option. These appear to be identical to the ones at the paint store only cheaper in cost.

Rick

Why don't you reuse your strainer bags? They are nylon so they are tough, all it takes to clean them is a rinse in the sink and hang to dry. Mine have lasted at least 8 batches and it might be more like 12. You don't have to sanitize them since they go in the mash and you boil everything for an hour afterwards.

Are these fine enough to be used in place of hops bags?

Tired of paying $5-6 each for those at the LHBS, then having to fish it out mid-boil to add more.

I use 5g paint strainer bags for my hops. I either clothespin it to the side of the kettle or I made a ring structure to hold it open during my DFH 90 min clone. So yes they work great.

I use 5g paint strainer bags for my hops. I either clothespin it to the side of the kettle or I made a ring structure to hold it open during my DFH 90 min clone. So yes they work great.

Ring structure. Brilliant.

Sounds like I could hold this open with two key rings on my keggle handles. Win!

Ordering now. Thanks, OP.

Back