Hop combinations to avoid!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not had that experience. I make an India Red Ale that has lots of dark crystal and uses Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade. It is great.

Though I have had people make the beer with Chinook, and not like it, so maybe some of the NW "c" hops would clash with dark crystal.

Agreed! I make a hoppy American Red Ale that uses Columbus, Chinook, Cascade and Citra and it is AWESOME! :rockin:

Reading the comments on here about Perle ... I did an Alt bier exclusively with Perle and I loved the bitterness and aroma but it added a mint-like finish that was really odd. Particularly unsettling once I could identify exactly what it was.

I could see it used as a lesser addition with other Noble hops varieties, though.

sorry lil off topic from where this has been going but im working on a quad recipe and the recipe im basing it off of uses some pretty bland hops in my opinion(challenger and east kent goldings) which from what i have read dont really fit the flavor profile of what i think of when you think belgian quad... i was wondering seeing as i dont have any experience with any of these hops if anyone has opinions or experience they can help me with i wanted to maybe replace these hops with something more like perle(german) or brewers gold(german) or maybe even fruggle(u.s) anyone have any experience with any of these or maybe pairing tips with other hops any and all input is appreciated... :mug:

Yep,exactly my experience with Liberty. As I stated elsewhere on this thread, Liberty just does not blend well with citrusy hops.

I used Liberty and Cascade in a Pale Ale. I would not recommend it at all. It was just weird.

sorry lil off topic from where this has been going but im working on a quad recipe and the recipe im basing it off of uses some pretty bland hops in my opinion(challenger and east kent goldings) which from what i have read dont really fit the flavor profile of what i think of when you think belgian quad... i was wondering seeing as i dont have any experience with any of these hops if anyone has opinions or experience they can help me with i wanted to maybe replace these hops with something more like perle(german) or brewers gold(german) or maybe even fruggle(u.s) anyone have any experience with any of these or maybe pairing tips with other hops any and all input is appreciated... :mug:

I would either use a noble variety (or an American noble breed hop like sterling, mt hood, etc...) for an authentic Belgian, or citrusy American hops for sonething a little different.

Has anyone tried combining Columbus and Hallertauer? I'm doing a non-traditional hoppy sauson tomorrow and considering 1.5 oz of each at flameout.

Back