light exposure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Reaction score
Is there a general rule of thumb for how much light exposure during fermentation it will take to skunk the beer? I have my fermenter in the garage directly under a fluorescent light. The light is off most of the time but when I am in there checking on the beer the light is directly glaring down into the clear glass carboy. So is this amount of exposure going to be harmful? or am I just being silly?

Thanks

well the garage is completely dark when the light is off. I suppose some ambient light may come in around the garage door seal. I guess I will play it safe and cover the fermenter. But what about for the short periods of time when I am checking on it? is it ok or should I try to keep it shaded from the light even then?

I always put an old t-shirt over the top of my carboys. Never had a skunk problem doing this.

Plus it kinda makes it look like a person, so I don't feel so bad about talking to it.

A couple things you'll probably find if you search:

Flourescent (sp) lights are bad, but less bad than actual sunlight if they are more than a couple feet away.

If your beer is dark, and/or has minimal hops, it is less susceptible to being lighstruck.

Treat it like a Mogwai. "Light bright" burns their eyes, sunlight kills them.

I put a tall box over my carboy and/or bucket. It servers 2 purposes...

1. It keeps stray light out.

2. It can help contain any "explosions" due to a especially healthy fermentation.

How much sunlight does it take to skunk your beer? I noticed that where my beers are sitting, a little bit of sun is hitting the carboy in the afternoon. I've since covered them up with t-shirts...

the wavelengths that can skunk the beer are UV, and if I'm not mistaken fluorescent lights have something like <1% of the UV output of sunlight, so I wouldn't worry about it. Put a shirt over it if it makes you feel better.

the wavelengths that can skunk the beer are UV, and if I'm not mistaken fluorescent lights have something like <1% of the UV output of sunlight, so I wouldn't worry about it. Put a shirt over it if it makes you feel better.
yeah your right I just did a little google searching.

UVA and UVB are around 280nm to 400nm wavelengths. the spectrum of the flourescent lights are nearly zero at those wavelengths. assuming I can trust google that is :drunk:

I like the idea of an old shirt around the carboy. Aren't there neoprene sleeves (think can / bottle cooler) or similar now?

Back