Plastic Lager..........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
So I finished lagering a Stella Clone from AHB this week. On whole it is very good and has a good bite and clean finish. After a pint though I am getting a plastic aftertaste, which obviously is unpleasant. No one is trying to perfect a plastic lager. I do believe for some reason I used plastic tubing to run from my mash tun in to the boil pot. This is the only time I have done that. Now I just fill my gallon pitcher and carefully dump it in the boil pot. I am thinking that is the case, a plastic lager which with your input is probably going to get dumped. 
~Diz

Phenolic off flavors are sometimes described as plastic like. Could be water issues or infection as I recall. Or could just be the tubing as you stated.

i use food grade plastic tubing for mash-boil kettle every time with no problem. are you talking about a different kind of plastic tubing>? as long as it is the tubing you get at the lhbs, it should be fine. lagers will show many off flavors that ales tend to cover up.

I read some posts on overcarbing. That is what I did. Released pressure, turned down the psi and the beer is golden, literally.

~Diz

Latest posts

Back