Home Winery: Cork This!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiser423

Reaction score
So, I'm out here in Conroe, TX for New Years, and was driving through historic Montgomery, TX the other day, and stopped at a winery called "Cork This".

Let me tell you, this is a small brewery stepped up from home winemaking. I mean, their fermentation room has ~20 better bottles, and ~30 6 gallon buckets! Airlocks bubbling galore.

I was very, very surprised. Every one of their wines was definitely hand-crafted, and well put together. I definitely recommend it.

I just thought it was pretty awesome to see someone using the exact same equipment that we use here making a go of it professionally, and apparently doing well at it.

Oh man, I would love to check it out! Fuels the dreams, though hubby says he isn't sure where we would put 20 better bottles, but we got realatives. Haha.

Do they have a website? I tried doing a search for cork this wine texas, but nothing seemed like what you described. Maybe, with such a set up, they don't have time for a website? I hope not.

Oh. You know, I'm sort of a little disappointed now. Our local brew supply store allows you to come in and make wine at their facilities, which I have been tempted to do just to get some hands on experience (I started my first batch in October), but both this place and our local place tell you to come back in 8 weeks to bottle. There is so much that happens in those 8 weeks, like at least one racking!

For a comparison of services: http://www.baderwinery.com/

Still, it is cool that they aren't all modernized. Makes them more like the everyman, er, woman. More accessible, and more achievable.

Is this it? 21123 Eva St (Rt 105), Montgomery, TX:

http://www.corkthiswinery.com/index.htm

Dave

Yup, that's the place! One of the wine makers is always there, and it was interesting to talk to one of them. I can't imagine how much wine making has to go on to keep a full pipeline happening when you're doing 6 gallon batches. They entered one wine in a festival, got a silver medal, and promptly sold out, and sell out every time they produce another batch.

They had a SS setup, but she said that they only use that sometimes. I think that they're keeping it small so that they don't have a ton of inventory on hand/and if there's a bad batch that it doesn't drain all of their capital.

I definitely loved the home-brew feel to it, and I'm itching to start wine making (may be moving in a couple of months, so I've held off delving into wine for the last 6 months).

Back