Holiday Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeeferMan

Reaction score
Kind of a newb here (brewed two successful extract + steeping grains recipes so far).

A little late to the game perhaps but I was hoping to throw together a simple ale for Thanksgiving. Looking for something with a subtle spice flavor and not too elaborate to make. After doing some research on the boards I have come across this spice combination a few times (originally submitted by "the Pol"):

2 tsp cinnamon
1 bsp allspice
1 tsp ginger

Does this sound like it will achieve what I am looking for?

Now second my question is for the ale itself. My favorite style is a semi-hoppy amber ale, but I was thinking maybe a scottish style brown ale or American brown might be nice with the spices. Or do you think an amber would be recommended and perhaps just tone down the hops a bit (I have a great recipe based on Ballast Point Calico Amber I could use as a base).

Going to need to carb it in the bottle so in that case should I just aim for a faster to brew style, if there is a difference?

Thanks in advance for your input! :mug:

If you have a base recipe with good malt presence you like, go for it! Just eliminate any and all late hops (<30 min additions), and reduce bitterness to somewhere around 20-25 IBU for normal size beers (OG <1.060). The hops and bitterness both will clash and cover the spices. The most important part, I feel, is to have a good malt base. Your spice amounts look pretty good, and should lend a pretty strong spice flavor and aroma. You might consider adding a little fresh grated nutmeg, I find it really adds that "holiday" feel. And I'm a fan of a little bit of cloves, though I know there are lots of people who can't stand them.

Sounds like something I should be doing !!

I currently have wheat malt and pale malt. Also some spare cascade hops, anyone have a recipe suggestion to me ?

I also have some mollasses, honey, and a few 100 grams of hopped malt extract in my fridge.

2 tsp might be a bit much. Just finished a holiday spiced ale tonight and added 1.3tsp cinnamon, 1tsp allspice and a pinch of ginger and it was pretty spicy. Not sure how it will taste once it has spent time in primary and secondary...

Back