Going to be comparing AG vs. Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My last 5 or 6 batches have been all grain and most have been VERY good. I did a partial mash with EdWort's Robust Porter and that still stands as the best beer to date.

Anyways, I am doing the granddaddy of them all. Yet ANOTHER double decoction mash. First one I fermented so poorly I released every off flavor known to man. Second one the wifey implored me to dump due to a broken therm.

I'm going to do 2 lager recipes which should be very similar. I'll let you know at the end of November how they compared.

The reason for the switch back to extract every AG causes fights with SWMBO due to the time it takes.

If you do extracts, do them with full boils or perform late extract additions (if partial boils). Add ~ 50% of the extract at the last 10 minutes.

Doing either will make your beer much better IMHO.

Doing the full boil would very easy thing since you are used to AG brewing. Steep specialty grains in a separate small pot, then add the liquid to your brew kettle.

Yah, I know... just saying you can make them slightly better by doing a full boil. You have the equipment now since you do AG.

Extracts are definitely faster. I did an extract + specialty grain Mild in two hours. Steeped the grain in 2.5 gallons, did a partial boil and late addition.

Back