How much extract to add for 1 gallon kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurlyWind

Reaction score
The wife wants me to brew her somwthing fruity, i was thinking a blackberry wheat. I was going to get a BB wheat 1 gallon kit to do a pilot batch then add blackberry extract and maybe some puree to it to get color but thats not as important as taste. Ive not used fruit extract flavors much and want to know round about how much to start with for the small batch size.

I would get the extract that I would be using in the brew and try it out on some store bought beer that is similar to the beer you'd be brewing. Add a drop to a half a beer and test it out, and ramp it up/down until you get the profile you want and extrapolate to amount you need in your batch size.

I would be careful with doing the test really quickly though cause your palate may get accustomed to the extract flavor. Maybe eat some crackers and wait a minute between your tastes.

I have only used flavor extract once and I found it to be just a little synthetic tasting. You may be better off using real fruit, either fresh or frozen. I typically use 48 ounces of raspberries and blackberries in my wheat based beers for a 5 gallon batch. For one gallon brewing you could try 9 ounces.

I am planning on making a raspberry blonde for my next batch and had decided on 3 teaspoons raspberry extract based on several suggestions I read on HBT and elsewhere. So for a 1 gallon batch, you might want to try 1 and 1/2 teaspoons. Keep in mind this was a plan and not something I actually have tried yet. My goal was to be able to notice the raspberry, but not have it be nasty or synthetic tasting. I tried a raspberry ale at Barrio Brewing in Tucson AZ and thought it was great. This is what I am shooting for.

Back