Kegerator leaking water inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xantus954

Reaction score
I recently bought an older beverage air kegerator from craig's list. I'm just starting to use it, have my beer in a corny key and it has been carbing up for almost a week now.

I've noticed there is water building up on the bottom of the kegerator on the inside, and when i tried to find out where its coming from it appears to be from condensation that is coming from the evaporator, i can see little drops of water forming along the bottom of that. I'm really new to kegerators but this can't be normal operation to have to clean the water up every 24-48 hours.

What could be causing this?

At first i had thought it was because i initially set the kegerator temperature to cold and it froze up, along with freezing some of the beer i had in there but I defrosted and cleaned it out and it continues to leak. It does seem to run plenty cold. I can hear the compressor cycle on and off. Just wondering what the leak could be and hoping its not something to serious.

If it helps any here's a pic of what I got. I don't have any pictures of the inside where its dripping but I can take some tonight.

Sorry rotating the image and uploading doesn't seem to be working from my tablet.

photo.jpg

You must have an air leak somewhere. If it's not sealing properly you'll get air infiltration and condensation. It will be worse if the unit is in a garage or basement.

How does the door seal look?

You must have an air leak somewhere. If it's not sealing properly you'll get air infiltration and condensation. It will be worse if the unit is in a garage or basement.

I'll have to look at the seals and see how they are. When I first noticed the leaking there was about half an inch of water across the inside bottom of the kegerator and not a drop leaked out the seal at the bottom.

It had been running for 3-4 days before and I hadn't opened it to check on it. I'll definitely check later today though and see.

it is probably condensation. i am not sure how much is normal, but it should have some dort of drain to catch it. both of myne have had the catch,

Try getting a dehumidifier or some damp rid in there. You can find good, cheap reusable ones on amazon for cheap. I would post a link but I'm out of pocket. Look for the ones that you plug in for a few hours to renew.

+1 on the damp rid. I think it's pretty normal to get condensation in there, both my keezer builds have. Get a bucket of damp rid in there and it will take care of it. Maybe even two with the amounts of water your seeing, but it will dry it out for sure.

Agree. One other possibility; If you find the "leak" is random (no water for a while, then a lot of water the next time you check), then you might have a cracked pan or defective/clogged drain line, and its only leaking during a defrost cycle.

Ok guys thanks for tips. I love this forum and how helpful everyone is.

Seals are fine.

I got some more pics and it looks like I should of been a little more thorough when inspecting the kegerator at the time of purchase. Here's some pics. The rust is on the underside of the box that has the evaporator fan so it looks like this leak has been occurring for a while. You can see the condensation drops on the back.

Am I looking at a serious issue?

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

I'm definitely going to be picking up some damprid for sure , been reading up and everyone seems to use either that or eva-dry products.

I clogged my drain line and glue it with silicone.. I though that will be one more place where humidity can pass into..
But now I'm thinking was it a good idea?

Do you leave drain line free or you seal it?

I clogged my drain line and glue it with silicone.. I though that will be one more place where humidity can pass into..
But now I'm thinking was it a good idea?

Do you leave drain line free or you seal it?

No I didn't clog up my drain line. Its possible it is clogged since its older and I haven't checked it.

No I didn't clog up my drain line. Its possible it is clogged since its older and I haven't checked it.

In my keezer water is accumulating at bottom sides, drain line is in the middle of it so it would have to be high level of water to drain into hole.

Does anyone also clogged drain line?

In my keezer water is accumulating at bottom sides, drain line is in the middle of it so it would have to be high level of water to drain into hole.

Does anyone also clogged drain line?

The drain here is for incidental water for them most part and is there for convenience. If you want to seal it up, no worries. There is also a drain pan and drain line from the evaporator coil (the one located behind the pan in the last pictures) and needs to be clear. This line typically runs into another pan near the condensing coil and compressor (probably just a few screws to remove a panel in the back of your unit). In some way the water is evaporated (heat element, condensing fan blowing over it, liquid refrigerant line running through it, etc). If you can find this pan, and its completely dry, then you can be pretty sure the condensate line is clogged and needs cleared.

Thanks for help.
I'll search this 2nd pan and see whether it needs cleaning.
Maybe stupid question, but what is the coil on freezer's back, is it evaporator or condensing coil? And where is the other one located?

Condensing coil, or at least part of it (same as the outdoor coil on a std residential AC). There are three main "looks" you can see, all doing the same thing (removing heat removed from inside freezer/"condensing" refrigerant into a liquid form). Open air (sounds like what you have), forced air (has a fan pulling air through coil, usually concealed below or above unit), or a combination of the two.

Sorry, probably more than you wanted to know.......;)

I finally got off my butt and started taking the kegerator apart, the pics I posted with rust showing is the drain pan. Well the rust was so bad in some spots that there were holes so the water was leaking out instead of going down the drain line.

I rigged it for now and will eventually have to replace that part.

Back