Gowing Hops By Zone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
I have been searching for more information on growing hops, and the one thing I have yet to find a good guide on is based on your zone - what should you plant, so I was hoping you guys could help me compile a single list. If you have planted hops and they grew well or didn't grow well post your experience and I will add it to this thread.

I am also adding to it as I can through my internet research, but hop info just seems hard to find.

Zone 2
Poor Performers -
Acceptable Performers -
Good Performers -
References -

Zone 3
Poor Performers -
Acceptable Performers -
Good Performers -
References -

Zone 4
Poor Performers -
Acceptable Performers -
Good Performers -
References -

Zone 5
Poor Performers -
Acceptable Performers -
Good Performers -
References -

Zone 6
Poor Performers - Centennial, Horizon, Sterling
Acceptable Performers - Vanguard (few cones on second year)
Good Performers - Canadian Red Vine, Chinook
References - http://www.specialtycrops.colostate.edu/grower_grants/2002/2002_gg_hops.htm

Zone 7
Poor Performers -
Acceptable Performers -
Good Performers -
References -

Zone 8
Poor Performers -
Acceptable Performers -
Good Performers -
References -

Zone 9
Poor Performers - Fuggle (possibly acceptable if not in full sun)
Acceptable Performers -
Good Performers - Cascade and Hallertau
References -

Zone 10
Poor Performers - Perle
Acceptable Performers - Amarillo, Cascade (watch for insects). Centennial, Chinook
Good Performers -
References - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=525672&postcount=7

Just to add, each zone is split into half by A and B. Like zone 6A and 6B. I grow mine in the north half of Central NJ and they do well...

Tx should fix that censoring of the species. Besides what else doe l u p u l mean?

Well, I'm right on the border of Zones 8 & 9 and I'm growing 2 varieties this year, and Mother-in-law is growing 4 different varieties for me right on the border of Zones 7 & 8. So I will definitely keep you updated.

We had fuggle, cascade and hallertau growing in Zone 9 (Oakland) this year. The fuggle didn't do as well with the sun. it turned a little brown, but still made for some good brews. No other problems whatsoever, great yields for a first year. this year i'm hoping to plant 3 more varieties, so i'll keep you posted!

Im gonna try to grow a few- Being Zone 4 in Anchorage but during the short growing season we get 18+ hrs sunlight

anderj said:
all hail zone six!

Indeed zone 6.

As a bonus, I am evidently in the pot growing epicenter of the world.

Hops are relatives of pot, so I am hoping that the soil will be ideal.

I am just worried that they will cast shade on my pot plants!;)

cheezydemon said:
Indeed zone 6.

As a bonus, I am evidently in the pot growing epicenter of the world.

Hops are relatives of pot, so I am hoping that the soil will be ideal.

I am just worried that they will cast shade on my pot plants!;)

x 2 hehe :drunk:

My Cascade vine produced bracts in it's first year in zone 5, south central mitten (MI). Every year has been better although I've yet to harvest for purposes of brewing. I have no standard by which to measure, but I should have enough to make at least two batches this fall, maybe more. I'm thinking seriously about a trellis system (it's on a "V" rope up the garage wall now) with some other varieties if it continues to do this well.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Im gonna try to grow a few- Being Zone 4 in Anchorage but during the short growing season we get 18+ hrs sunlight

it will be interesting to see how those turn out...PLants needs darkness just as much as they need sunlight

I was thinking on doing an experiment, from what ive heard you cant grow hops where I live, but I would like to try it. I live in South America, specifically Venezuela. And I was wondering where I could find the type of hop that could survive the weather. Do you guys have any idea of what I can do?

(replying to thread necromancer - bringing this from the dead)

I think hops want extended daylight at some point, which is why they are often grown in northern climates (14+ hour days during June and July). I don't know if the days in Venezuela are ever long enough. They also suffer from mildew when the humidity is too high but newer varieties are more resistant. I don't know if you live in a humid area of Venezuela.

There are people who grow hops in some awfully warm areas so that's probably not an issue. Keep them well watered and fertilized and hope for the best. I am afraid you may end up with enormous bines but no cones without long days though.

I have found Cascade to be a pretty useful hop, hardy, and high-yielding...but I live in Wisconsin, so our climates couldn't be much more different.

Back