Just messed up a 5 gallon batch BIGTIME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yezzo

Reaction score
I don't knoe what I was thinking I accidently poured the cleanser pouch in my secondary instead of priming sugar. The packs look exactly the same.

I am so steamed right now, just messed up a belgian triple that has been aging in my secondary for 3 weeks. This is bad.

It sure is heartbreaking to make a mistake that ruins a beer. We all have made a big mistake at least 1 time, myself included. This looks un-fixable. Priming sugar should be boiled, cooled and poured into the bottling bucket as it needs to be sterile. Did you do that but substituting the cleanser pack for the corn sugar?

I grew up in the food industry. We were never allowed to keep cleaning agents near food or food prep areas. I have carried this over to my homebrewing, so I don't make that mistake. I have a seperate box that i keep all my cleaning stuff in. I use the blue plastic crates that Walgreens gets their shipments in. These work great for storage and they stack well so they do not take alot of space.

Wow maybe I'm a terrible person, but I laughed when I read this. Com'on, you have to admit it's at least a little funny. :p

On the bright side, hopefully that's the last of that overpriced One-Step stuff, and now you can buy a big bottle of starsan. It's infinitely superior as far as sanitizing goes, and you'll never mix it up with dextrose.

Ok now I'm cooled off so I can respond to laughs and questions. The packet looked just like the sugar pack and as I was stirring it in I took a look at the back and was wondering why it said "mix 1 tablespoon per gallon of water". :drunk:

and of course like always the first thing my wife said was "did you read the directions?"

But the beer came out perfect too, I could have drank it without priming, it was just perfect. :mad:

WBC: No the package just said mix in the sugar right before bottling. This is the first time I did something without checking in here for tips and tricks.

beala: Although it wasn't funny when it happened, I will admit, it is a funny homer simpson type moment, because the 1st thing that popped in my head was "DOH!". One day this will be a story I can tell to get some laughs.

sflcowboy78: I use one step from the clear bag and that stuff can not be confused with priming sugar so from now on any sanetizer that comes with a recipe kit goes in the trash right away.

Although this was a disaster it's ok to laugh, it is funny when you think about it. I had just bought BB King tickets and I think I was just excited to bottle and lost concentration.

yezzo said:
... I had just bought BB King tickets and I think I was just excited to bottle and lost concentration.

Well, appropriately enough, you're singin' the blues now! Sorry, could resist.:D

Aren't some of those no-rinse cleaners actually OK to ingest? I'd do some research before dumping the batch to make absolutely, positively, 100-percent certain it's undrinkable ... I mean, if you'd foqued up a two-week beer like an English mild or a northern brown, that'd be no great loss, but for pete's sake, a Belgian Triple? You gotta be 100 percent sure it's ruined before you dump something like that ...

Finn said:
Aren't some of those no-rinse cleaners actually OK to ingest? I'd do some research before dumping the batch to make absolutely, positively, 100-percent certain it's undrinkable ... I mean, if you'd foqued up a two-week beer like an English mild or a northern brown, that'd be no great loss, but for pete's sake, a Belgian Triple? You gotta be 100 percent sure it's ruined before you dump something like that ...

Yeah I thought about bottling it anyway but when I read the package it had the whole "drink milk and and call doctor if swallowed ........" bit. It was the "Brewers edge cleanser" from Williams Brewing. If it was a no rinse solution I might have capped the bucket and did some research, but it wasn't.

It's hard dumping 5 gallons of Belgian triple down the drain, almost like a funeral. :mad:

I once forgot to rinse my bottles after sanitizing them with bleach. Taste bitter like hell.

solidghost said:
I once forgot to rinse my bottles after sanitizing them with bleach. Taste bitter like hell.

hopefully you've switched from bleach solution to a norinse like iodophor or starsan,

Yezzo said:
It's hard dumping 5 gallons of Belgian triple down the drain, almost like a funeral

Ouch...my condolences!

Back