bottling to kegging then back to bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
So, I started kegging in January of this year and it has been great.. BUT...

I just recently refridgerated and consumed several of my first all grain beers that I brewed in late 2011, and they were delightful! So complex and so much better than I first remembered them... (2 were IIPAs and one was a pale ale.)

I feel like I am cheating myself out of the extra conditioning time since I now primary for 4 weeks and then go straight to the keg.

My kegged beers are great, but these bottle conditioned brews seem more complex. Should I be aging my beers longer than a month...?

Also, does anyone who moved to kegging still bottle condition these styles of beers?

I moved to kegging but still bottle anything that needs to age such as my whiskey barrel porter and barley wine. No sense in tying up my kegs for 9+ months imo

I will usually bottle a portion of my, usually the last couple of gallons. I brew mostly seasonal beers and with three taps for the wife and i we just don't get through it. Bottling some of it makes it mobile, opens up a keg for the next batch, and allows us to age out what we think might be worth it.

Some brews are really ready to drink in 3 weeks while others need 3 months and a few might need 3 years. How should I make a blanket recommendation on how long to condition your beer when you don't say what kind it is?

Im in the same boat as you...I typically brew 10 gal batches and have a 2 keg kegerator. What I've been doing lately is kegging one carboy and bottling the other. That way I'll always have 2 different brews on tap and ability to let them age if needed. But there's always those bews that should just be bottled and forgotten about for a long time.

MD,

That's what I just started doing.. ill drink off of the taps, and then bottle 2 the remaining 2 or so gallons to make room for the next keg.

I however just purchased a 3rd keg so I think I will now do a 3-4 week primary followed by 1-2 weeks in the keg at 60ish before going into the kegorator.

Latest posts

Back