Brewers Best Imperial Pale Ale-modifications?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebluewaffle

Reaction score
Hey guys names Matt and I am still pretty new to brewing, so far have only done 3 batches and a mini SMaSH brew.
So a buddy and I bought this Brewers Best Imperial Pale Ale kit at a LHBS about a week ago we are pretty excited to do it but, are going to add some changes to the recipe. I want to know what you guys think

The original recipe is this.
60 min boil
6.6# light LME
2# golden DME
1# crystal 80
0.5# victory
0.25# carapils

4oz Columbus at 60 20 and 5

Me and my friend bought about 4 ounces of simcoe and would like to change the hop schedule to continuously hop 2 oz of columbus for the first half hour and then continuously hop 1oz of columbus mixed with 3oz of simcoe for the remaining time. And then dry hop 2 oz of simcoe. We really love the hop flavor and aroma and bitterness but do not want it to become to over the top on bitterness. What do you guys think?

Also what do you think would happen if we added .5# wheat DME...I was reading that alot of guys OG was low compared to the 1.081 it is supposed to be they were usual hitting 1.07-75. I dont know how the wheat would affect the beer flavor wise in that small quantity or if it would just make it disgusting or possibly delicious?

Any help would be awesome I love this website I have learned more here than any of the books I have read. Thanks

I think the answer depends on what you mean by "over the top on bitterness". Since it is an imperial, i think you will be ok with a nice balanced beer. In terms of the hop flavor, it might be a bit of a more resiny hop flavor with both Columbus and Simcoe, but many people including myself like that. But you're good on saving Simcoe for the last 30 mins, and I'd even save it for the last 20-15. Simcoe is too good to lose all that flavor and aroma to a long boil time.

Hopefully some more experienced brewers chime in.

oh, and as for the wheat, I'm brewing an Imp. IPA with some wheat DME. Smells great, but it is still fermenting, so not sure how its going to taste yet. I like a little wheat, and I like wheat beers with lots of hops.

We are going to continuously hop the simcoe so hops will be added the whole time from 30 to 0 minutes. I think i might try to add some of the wheat it would be a cool experiment.

Back