My cider was in primary for just 2 weeks, and it already fermented dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshufro

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brand new here.

SG was 1.08ish, temperature in here was consistently 76f.

I racked into a carboy after two weeks in primary and was wondering why fermentation didn't continue- took the SG, 0.990. The cider is already clearing. Should I just use the sparkoloid, prime it, and bottle, or should I wait? It's been a few days without any bubbles forming in the airlock.

Edit: Forgot to say, I used WLP 775 (White labs english cider)

Give it a few days and check the gravity again. If it's still static, fermentation's done. Try not to rely too heavily on the sight of bubbles :).

Wait, 775 really likes aging, more so than most yeast from my studying. Mine continues to improve to the last bottle a full year after pressing.

I would age it out before adding any fining agents to it, fining agents can strip the cider of more delicate tastes and smells.

All of my ciders have done so much better from letting them sit. With one caveat, I try not to let sit in a primary for more than 2-3 weeks, not sure but I have always like to rack to a secondary for everything. I have not had as good results only doing a primary which seems to be in Vogue now.

Back