Fiddle Barn Stout loosely based on Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddleTilDeath

Reaction score
I tried the Wrasslers XXXX Stout at the Porterhouse brewpup in dublin and loved it. I thought it was a truly delicious stout, and when I found a bottle in Boston with the ingredients listed, (what kind of hops etc), I bought it and now this is my recipe based on that beer. I had no idea what their quantities or hop additions were, but I used their ingredients as a stepping stool to figuring out how to make a substantial stout with appropriate and plentiful hops. I have the finished product on tap now and this is an instant classic that I will be making again for sure. The original stout didn't include saaz, but I had some extra sitting around which fits into my basic mantra of more hops! Despite the ridiculous hop addition the beer is in no way overly bitter or hoppy. To my taste, its a pretty balanced stout. dark roasted malt is definitely the centerpiece but with enough hops to back it up. It's very thick and with big mouthfeel but isn't in any way syrupy. This beer came out exactly/better than I was hoping for.

Fiddle Barn Stout
6 lbs Dark LME (northern brewer)
3.15 lbs Dark LME
1 lb Simpsons Roasted Barley Steeped
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Hop Schedule
1 oz Galena 60 min
1 oz Nugget 50 min
1 oz EKG 45 min
1 oz Galena 30 min
1 oz Nugget 25 min
1 oz EKG 15 min
1 oz Saaz 5 min

There must be a new distribution line, as I just saw this in my area for the first time about a week ago. Though it was a bit pricey, I picked up a few bottles out of curiosity. Good lord man, this is hands down the best dry stout I've ever had. Most of them I don't like, but this one was love at first sip. I was glad to see the ingredients listed on the bottle, too.

So have you brewed this yet? If you have, did the proportions seem right? How did it come out? Any idea what the ratios of dark and/or crystal grains are in the extract?

I'm pretty sure this is a higher gravity recipe than the original beer, but that was my intent. I'm ultra happy with how it tastes, but I haven't compared it to the original. If you look at my first paragraph, all your questions are answered in it.

And yes, Wrasslers is SO SO SO SO GOOD. MMMMMMMMM that's why this beer is now on tap on my kegerator whoooo!!

Just brewed this. I.... can't wait. Wait, yes I can. but only because it has all the goodness, and as you say, more is better. more waiting, better.

I just returned from Ireland. I did spend a couple of nights in Porterhouse. They make some very good brews. Their Oyster Stout is also very good.

Fun place and good beer.. yum.

oyster eh??? I was considering putting Worcestershire sauce (anchovies taste intended) in a brew, obviously I have NOT done that yet... but I am intrigued. Can you describe that brew a little more?

From their webpage:
Grain: Pale Malt, Roast Barley, Black Malt, Flaked Barley.
Hops: Galena, Nugget, East Kent Goldings.

Brewed with fresh oyster. A smooth drinking aromatic stout with a discernible but unidentifiable aromatic aspect. Not suitable for vegetarians.

It is a fine stout. Lucky to have it on tap in my local pub.

Well, I just got back from a trip to Ireland and managed to visit the Porterhouse no fewer than three times in the four days I was in Dublin. Wrasslers XXXX was quite possibly the most thoroughly enjoyable stout that's ever washed down my gullet. Thick, rich, roasty, and bitter. Like drinking a 90% cocoa chocolate bar.

Fiddle, once the weather cools off a bit, I'm planning to brew up an all grain version of your recipe. Now that you've brewed it a few times, would you make any changes or is your original still treating you well?

I'm pretty astonished at the hop schedule. :) Me likey.

Noch - I do love my hops! I think I'll keep it the sameish, but I might throw in 1 more oz of hops on the < 3 min side of things.

After a month of secondary, I feel 3 oz of non boil medium french oak is my most prominent flavor.... Next time I will try 3oz boiled, strained soaked in bourbon and 3 vanilla beans. In the mean time this beer will be left in my keg (the first keg I filled might i add) until ski season. Huzzah!

Also, needs more hops, or a blichman hop rocket, I love my hops forward on the palate. And a nitro tap......

But very excited by he prospects of this brew for this winter.

Back