Brewpubs in D.C.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrugCoder

Reaction score
We are taking a short trip to DC in about three weeks and would love to know if there are any "must see" brewpubs. I believe our reservations are for some place on Connecticut if that helps...

Any favorites?

I'm so glad you posted this because I'll be taking the train down for my sister's graduation in about two weeks and would love to have a few places to stop.

I was thinking about taking the Red Line out the the DFH Ale House in Gaithersburg if I couldn't find anything in DC.

RFD! It's Metro accessible (Chinatown stop on the red line) located about midway on 7th between G and H I think. They've usually got like 25 commercial beers on tap and a bottle list that is like 6 pages long.

I've only been to Churchkey once, but they've got a good draft and bottle list and some fancier foods, so, it'll cost you more than RFD.

Enjoy your trek to DC!

Capital City Brewing. DFH if you can get out to Gaithersburg. Not sure if Dominion has brewpubs operating any longer. I know they have one in Dulles Airport.

I'd add the District Chophouse to the list (downtown brewpub), Dogfish also has a taphouse in Arlington or Falls Church I think, if that's closer (just a taphouse--they don't brew there). Brickskellar in Dupont has a big bottle list (although in my historical experience they are commonly out of 25-50% at any given time--haven't been in years though). Churchkey has an incredible tap and bottle list, but the crowds can be overwhelming--go early. There is a small beer garden in Columbia Heights called Wonderland Ballroom. I think there is a much bigger one somewhere in the NE part of the city, but I've never been. Brasserie Beck is a Belgian bistro with a REALLY good belgian selection, albeit a little pricey. There is also an English pub in Columbia Heights called CommonWealth Gastropub that is pretty good. I'm sure there are some other spots that are escaping me at the moment.

Edit: I think the Granville Moores mentioned above is the place I'm thinking of in NE (that I've never been to).

Capital City Brewing. DFH if you can get out to Gaithersburg. Not sure if Dominion has brewpubs operating any longer. I know they have one in Dulles Airport.

Does DFH have a gift shop where I can pick up a pint glass and some bottles?

Does DFH have a gift shop where I can pick up a pint glass and some bottles?

At the Gaithersburg one there is a small display case with shirts, pint glasses, hats, etc. No bottles of beer to go--only for consumption on premises.

BTW, my understanding is the DFH taphouses in MD and VA are not actually owned by DFH--they are franchised to the same group that owns Baja Fresh. Yes, they serve DFH beers there (and certainly more styles than you will commonly find around), but they don't brew on premises there--they just serve the beer.

I'm so glad you posted this because I'll be taking the train down for my sister's graduation in about two weeks and would love to have a few places to stop.

I was thinking about taking the Red Line out the the DFH Ale House in Gaithersburg if I couldn't find anything in DC.

It's a pretty good place and the happy hour is handy, but it gets jam packed with all the big company's nearby. Food is usually good too. I was just working down there and still have an apt stumbling distance away. The bottle prices are exorbitant though. Bottle of Red & White was like $25, which is ridiculous cause its $13 at a nearby bottle shop. Palo Santo on tap is worth it though.

There's also a brewpub in old Gaithersburg called Growlers which makes some pretty good beers.

I'd hit up ChurchKey in DC, maybe The Brickskeller for beer bars. District ChopHouse and Gordon Biersch are right by to each other.

Latest posts

Back