Magic Hat - Howl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSomps6

Reaction score
So I bought the holiday 12 pack and in it is their winter seasonal "Howl." This stuff is delicious. I did a search but couldn't find anything... anybody tried to brew this? I got some info from their website www.magichat.net/howl but still could use some help with the recipe. Thanks!

:mug:

I made a pseudo-schwarzbier inspired by the description of Howl on Magic Hat's site. I was expecting a more thin bodied, clean tasting "crisp" black beer. However, it appears that the Howl is made with an ale yeast making it more of a pseudo-lager (and I bet they don't "lager" it after fermentation either). I also tasted what I thought was chocolate malt and maybe a little roast barely, when the website claims only pale, crystal and carafa go in there. It's possible they didn't use debittered / Carafa "special", and that's where the flavors are coming from. In my schwarzbier I used a pound of debittered black malt / Carafa Special III in 5 gallons (in addition to crystal 80L and 120L) to get my SRM up to 50, I have no idea how they have 65 unless they used an unearthly amount of dark malts.

* TYPE: Black Lager
* YEAST: English Ale
* HOPS: Columbus, Hallertau
* MALTS: Pale, Crystal, carafa

* ABV: 4.6
* GRAVITY: 12.00 Plato
* BITTERNESS: 32
* SRM: 65.0

Looks like ale yeast to me.

I made a pseudo-schwarzbier inspired by the description of Howl on Magic Hat's site. I was expecting a more thin bodied, clean tasting "crisp" black beer. However, it appears that the Howl is made with an ale yeast making it more of a pseudo-lager (and I bet they don't "lager" it after fermentation either). I also tasted what I thought was chocolate malt and maybe a little roast barely, when the website claims only pale, crystal and carafa go in there. It's possible they didn't use debittered / Carafa "special", and that's where the flavors are coming from. In my schwarzbier I used a pound of debittered black malt / Carafa Special III in 5 gallons (in addition to crystal 80L and 120L) to get my SRM up to 50, I have no idea how they have 65 unless they used an unearthly amount of dark malts.

So what was the recipe you used if you don't mind me asking? And what would you change to make it more like the original? Thanks!

Oh and their site does say "Yeast: LAG-ER"

I would almost prefer to try and make it with ale yeast since I don't really have temp control and was going to lager in the garage with this Michigan winter.

Anybody know how to submit this to Jamil Z's show "Can you brew it?"

Where do you see Yeast: Lager? Maybe their flash page is acting up, but I just went back there, and under the line Type: Black Lager I see the line Yeast: English Ale.

I strongly suspect they don't go to the time and expense to make a true lager and are just performing a clean ale fermentation at low temps. Lagering takes an investment of infrastructure that doesn't make sense for a microbrew which doesn't produce a lager year round.

I'll put up my recipe when I get back to my notes, but if I were to do it again I'd make Munich malt the main grain over the Pale I used, to give it a little more character. I shot for bitterness in the low 20s as well, and I'd probably up that to the high 20s.

I saw it on their flash page.

howl.JPG

Yeah, it wasn't anything close to a clone, all I got was a really just an "inspired by" kind of beer. I was expecting the Howl to be a lot closer to a schwarzbier, but I thought it had significant roasty / chocolately flavor. Next winter I'm going to try a schwarzbier recipe and possibly modify from there.

Back