Yeast infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago my girlfriend, a couple of her friends and I were hanging out trying some of my brews and two of the friends drank the yeast and they both told my girlfriend that they got yeast infections and the doctor told them it was from my beer. Does brewing yeast have the potential to give a human a yeast infection?

I'd like to know the answer to this one. I've heard people having concerns about this, but I haven't seen anything scientific to back it up. I'd think that tired out yeast living in an alcohol environment and then being transferred to an environment high in hydrochloric acid (your stomach) would have a very difficult time surviving. But that's just my thoughts, I'd like to see hard data either way.

WHAT?!?! That is absolutely ridiculous, that you would think that but even more that a doctor would say that. Vaginal yeast infections are caused by Candida albicans, beer is fermented by Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The two aren't in the same genus, in fact I highly doubt Candida could metabolize sugars in beer let alone survive the alcohol or acidic environment.

There isn't "hard data" it's a fact. I know you might think Vaginal yeast brewers yeast whatever but that's like comparing apples to oranges, completely different things.

I agree with Yeastie here. Vaginal yeast infection simply isn't possible from drinking beer. The one thing that did come to mind was thrush. Simply speaking thrush is a yeast infection in the mouth. I did a bit of looking and it appears thrush is caused by the candida yeast also, so I doubt it could be caused by brewer's yeast.

Terje

A couple weeks ago my girlfriend, a couple of her friends and I were hanging out trying some of my brews and two of the friends drank the yeast and they both told my girlfriend that they got yeast infections and the doctor told them it was from my beer.

They should consider going to a competant doctor from now on. I'm assuming we're talking about *female* yeast infections. The only way they'd get that just from beer is if they tried *****ing with your beer.

Women tend to get yeast infections from comprised immune systems..there is a yeast that's naturally in the vagina: Candida albicans. There's colonies of bacteria and yeast on all orafices that compete and keep their numbers level enough that we don't get an infection. A yeast infection happens when those yeast find an oportunity to grow to levels to induce infection. That environment can be from an illness, from antibiotics , birth control pills, and yes, foods that have yeast or mold that have the potential to cut down on the number of healthy bacteria that can keep Candida albicans in check. But that's just one contributer: if they drank your beer, the yeast didn't go from their intestines to their vaginas. Beer doesn't cause yeast infections. Though there is some question about how much an infection can get worst due to diet.

HA I thought so... that same doctor at the ER just yesterday treated my freshly snapped ankle. I came home with no cast, some advil, no instructions on the care of my foot. Also, the next doctor I saw said I need surgery immediately. This guy is a joke and Im filing a complaint.

It's a myth, AND if they truly went to the doctor, and the doctor said that without checking PUBMED or even the internets...then encourage them to get a new doctor, NOT someone who uses supersticious ignorance as their modus operendi....

We get this every few months...here is the info I have posted, from working in medical education and having access to pubmed....heck you can find this info even on google....

you can't get one strain of a yeast infection from another strain of yeast...

The Yeast we brew with is Saccharomyces cerevisiae

The strain of yeast in Thrush and yeast infections is Candida in it's many strains...None of them even remotely related to Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

The Doctor is making a medical diagnose based on his own ignorance, and not even bothering to look things up in books, or even PUBMED, which would have given him/her information quite the contrary to what he/she diagnosed...and that is a pretty scary thought.

Yeasts of the Candida genus are another group of opportunistic pathogens which causes oral and V@ginall infections in humans, known as Candidiasis. Candida is commonly found as a commensal yeast in the mucus membranes of humans and other warm-blooded animals. However, sometimes these same strains can become pathogenic. Here the yeast cells sprout a hyphal outgrowth, which locally penetrates the mucosal membrane, causing irritation and shedding of the tissues.[47] The pathogenic yeasts of candidiasis in probable descending order of virulence for humans are: C. albicans, C. tropicalis, C. stellatoidea, C. glabrata, C. krusei, C. parapsilosis, C. guilliermondii, C. viswanathii, C. lusitaniae and Rhodotorula mucilaginosa.[48] Candida glabrata is the second most common Candida pathogen after C. albicans, causing infections of the urogenital tract, and of the bloodstream (Candidemia).[49]

That has nothing to do with Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is used in brewing AND bread making...Did he suggest theynot eat bread?

From one of 5 sites I looked up Thrush on, all said the same thing....(

Episodes are best managed with an appropriate antifungal medication - diet usually has little impact on this type of problem. The yeast that is used for baking and beer making (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) has nothing to do with the yeast that causes yeast infections (Candida albicans). The two have no more in common than a house cat would have with a tiger - they`re both cats, but their ability to do harm is very different.

Now unless they drank that beer made from that womans pu##Y yeast that was advertised awhile back, and it wasn't pasturized, caused it is coming from the same mentality as believes you can go blind from it....

If we could get yeast infections from Homebrew (or any beer at all) then there wouldn't be a hobby such as this...

There is only some slight evidence that cancer patients on heavy chemotherapy, or who recently have had catheters, or have had IV's or transfusions or can get something similar to candida from drinking beer (all beer not just homebrew) or from eating bread...but it is extrememly rare, and the evidence has been mostly anecdotal.....And THAT strain of yeast is S. boulardii which has only been used in one of two really rare brewing situation...and it's NOT a strain we use in Homebrewing...

Like I said, we get these threads every now and then, I have done a lot of data collectiong to put this myth to bed....

Homebrewing is scary enough to a lot of people (people think you can go blind from it- which is a holdoveer from Moonshining and distilling NOT homebrewing and wine making) that we need to nip this in the bud whereever possible...

I'll agree with adamjab, they got it from somewhere else...if they want to blame homebrewing...It wasn't the beer that did it, but what they did with the bottle to each other that would have spread it..and only if one of the people had it to begin with... :D

I've worked in medical education for 2o years on and off, if that were the case, I would have come upon the info at some point, especially since I work with a Biochemists abd Pharmacoligists who use S. cerevisiae in their research (It turns out many of those researchers are into homebrewing as well).... If the doc believes some inane nonsense like that you need to get a second opinion, or find a new doctor.

This guy is a joke and Im filing a complaint.

Sounds like he's also giving good doctors a bad name :mad: With his ideas of yeast infections being directly from ingested yeast to not diagnosing problems....I wonder if he got his degree from some mail order place:cross:

Pinche chiquitas need to wash their cuchi more....Use soap!!

icon_204.gif

:mug:

I had a friend, who was a female (not my girlfriend) who would get really bad yeast infections.
Her doctor put her on a special diet that had no bread products and she had to drink only specific beer, if she was to drink beer. I don't know if she was allergic to wheat or something, but this diet (not eating some yeasty/bready things) cured her vaginal yeast issues.

Not sure if it's the same issue, just sayin what I know...

I don't know if she was allergic to wheat or something, but this diet (not eating some yeasty/bready things) cured her vaginal yeast issues.

Not sure if it's the same issue, just sayin what I know...

Diet can effect one's immune system...and a comprised immune system can lead to a yeast infection. But a competant doctor would rule out the more obvious reasons for a yeast infection: IE any other illness, antibiotics, birth control, sex practices...etc. Reactions from food...particularly food with mold...are lower down the list. If a girl comes in and says: Well I tried this friend's beer that had a lot of yeast....is that what caused this yeast infection? The doctor shouldn't say "yes". Yeast infections are from an imbalance of cultures in that oriface...they are not from ingesting another yeast strain.

Yeast infections do have a connection with sex, especially when you consider that approximately half of people carry some candida albicans in their feces. I would say it's more likely they got drunk off the awesome homebrew and had some "fun". Strong coincidence that they both got it..... you do the math. (JK in good fun)

I hope this "doctor" does not make beer. If he does I need to ask him what the White Labs code is for vagina yeast.

Yeast infections do have a connection with sex, especially when you consider that approximately half of people carry some candida albicans in their feces.

Eh...yeast strains are on everything. And every orifice of the human body has Candida yeast strains...EVERYONE excretes yeast cells in their feces: not half. Males and females carry yeast on their genitals, mouths, anuses, and ears...but us guys are not prone to yeast infections because our wee wee is outside of any cavities (well most of the time) :cross::D

Ridiculous. Beer yeast can't survive a trip through the human digestive tract. Period.

Eh...yeast strains are on everything. And every orifice of the human body has Candida yeast strains...EVERYONE excretes yeast cells in their feces: not half. Males and females carry yeast on their genitals, mouths, anuses, and ears...but us guys are not prone to yeast infections because our wee wee is outside of any cavities (well most of the time) :cross::D

Just going by an emedicine article about Candida species and not all yeasts. You are right most people probably carry Candida somewhere on their body I was just referring to poo cause it's gross. Either way, we all agree that beer is not brewed with Candida so good luck trying to develop a yeast infection. :D

Oropharyngeal colonization is found in 30-55% of healthy young adults, and Candida species may be detected in 40-65% of normal fecal florae
Candidiasis: eMedicine Infectious Diseases

The Yeast we brew with is Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Guys guys guys, must we forget about our friend Saccharomyces carlsbergensis, also known as lager yeast. Just had to chime in and say it, but still a completely different strain than what causes vaginal yeast infections. My fiance has been drinking my beer for many moons and never had a problem.

Either way, we all agree that beer is not brewed with Candida so good luck trying to develop a yeast infection. :D

Well even if beer was brewed with Candida strains, that still wouldn't mean you'd get a yeast infection from it. Again, yeast and bacteria cultures are in every orafice of the body. Some studies say that there's more bacteria in your mouth then in feces...but that's both ends of the digestive tract. But we automatically think of poo is being the most discusting (from a flora perspective, it certainly isn't). :) Moderate amounts of both bacteria and yeast are normal and actually indicative of a normal immune system. A vagina is a completely seperate system then our digestive tract though....and it's easier to get a yeast infection there since it's an open cavity. It's from an imbalance of the flora there: not what flora you ingest.

Guys guys guys, must we forget about our friend Saccharomyces carlsbergensis, also known as lager yeast. Just had to chime in and say it, but still a completely different strain than what causes vaginal yeast infections. My fiance has been drinking my beer for many moons and never had a problem.

I never Knew that Lager yeasts were a different strain than cervasae. I always thought it was just another cervasae strain.

You learn something new every day, even on a trollish thread like this.

:mug:

A couple weeks ago my girlfriend, a couple of her friends and I were hanging out trying some of my brews and two of the friends drank the yeast and they both told my girlfriend that they got yeast infections and the doctor told them it was from my beer. Does brewing yeast have the potential to give a human a yeast infection?

Exactly what did they do with the bottles after getting the beer out :fro: :drunk:

Tomorrow, I'm drinking homebrew until I get a yeast infection, just to prove you all wrong! I'll do it, damnit, and I don't even have a vagina!:ban:

I like that one of the early posters mentioned it as comparing apples and oranges and I couldnt agree more as both plants are related in the rosaceae
family.
first off I would like to state that what our medical friend posting above
is very right, they are not related and do not cross breed or any other
un researched theory.
It is true however that the symptoms (yeast infections, thrush) are a related problem although not perhaps as is theorized above.
I am a herbalist and work with candida problems quite regularly,
oddly enough I just finished making a preparation for candida for a naturopath.
Candida itself is rather benign and not a problem in proper ratios to the other flora in our body, when it begins to grow in excessive amounts it can cause all sorts of interesting problems, including hampered immune systems, chronic fatigue and yes yeast infections.
without getting off topic with hows and why this happens it is sufficient to say it is usually a mixture of antibiotic use, some medications and poor diet over time.
while poor diet-high in simple sugars- will feed candida and can over time bring it into very high access, it is excessive or prolonged antibiotic use that tends to tip the scale, anti-biotics will kill off foreign pathogens it also kills off our body's own friendly bacteria. this is why ND's and others prescribe probiotics while taking anti-biotics, it retains the balance.
a favorite similum of my nutrition teacher was imagining a big pile of garbage bags full of leaves left for a year or two, when you finally get around to taking them away you notice a network of mold that has started to grow through the bags. candida does that to our organs in excess and will literally farm them for nutrients.
the yeast from homebrew that has not sit long enough is usually still very active and there is allot of it, if you've ever gotten stomach ache from green homebrew you know what I mean. we are introducing a foreign critter into our system in large quantitys, our body's friendly bacteria will fight it witch usually results in the mild bloating and gas of this fermentive battle.
If the person ALSO has a CANDIDA yeast problem our friendly flora has now been kicked back a notch and it can result in the above mentioned symptoms of a yeast infection or thrush.
Homebrew made well and allowed to sit properly(1-3 months after bottling) has a fraction of the active yeast that something 2 or 3 weeks old has and our body won't have a problem with it.
So to summarize, there are numerous reasons why candida can be a problem
and home brew can be one of them, if your friends got a yeast infection after drinking home brew weather it was left to sit long enough or not they more than likely already had a problem to begin with the home brew just setting it off.

Hi,
You are kidding here not to get yeast illness but it is not a fun seriously.. I am man and I got this yeast illness second time in a month. I had no sexual contact for a while because of covid-19 lockdown :) I made beer like 3 months ago and was drinking very slow, I still have some bottles.
Anyways, I got this yeast illness And went to doctor. Doctor said sexual contact, I was loudly laughing his face because I had no contact with anyone for a while. Anyways idiot doctor gave me antibiotics and used it. Illness disappeared. While having antibiotics I don’t drink. So once I become fine, I drunk couple of bottles. And few days later I got the same symptoms... now I am sure that happened because of beer.. now I am going to use an oral antifungal drug such as fluconazole is also almost always effective.
So, poorly home brewed beer can make you sick.. not a fun guys.

Back