my first All Grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehomey13

Reaction score
Hi Guys, First post and first All Grain. My question is: I received an All Grain kit as a gift. the kit came from Northerbrewer. Does anyone know if the kits come milled or do I have to mill the grains?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

They come either way- however it was ordered. If you can't ask the person who bought it, you can look at the grains. If they are milled, it's pretty obvious. There will be crushed grains, and flour, in the plastic bag. If they look like, well, just grains, then they weren't milled.

336px-Crush_dry_tight.jpg

Crushed

ViennaMalt.jpg

Uncrushed.

Thanks guys. It appears that they came uncrushed. Gonna have to post pone this batch until I can get a mill. How long will a yeast starter keep?

Once it's finished fermenting, you can still it in the fridge (covered) indefinitely. If it's more than a couple of days, you can easily just take it out of the fridge a day or two before brewday, pour off the spent wort, and add some fresh cooled wort to it. Let it ferment out, and you'll be all set!

In my experience I've found that if the yeast has been active within the past couple weeks it takes off pretty quick. If you get it started first that's even better.

I've heard you can use a rolling pin or even a beer bottle to lightly crush the grain (not pulverize), that way you don't have to buy a $120 to brew your first batch.

I've heard you can use a rolling pin or even a beer bottle to lightly crush the grain (not pulverize), that way you don't have to buy a $120 to brew your first batch.

Crushing the entire grain bill for an all grain batch with a rolling pin would suck. BAD. Plus his efficiency would also suck. BAD.

Before i would do that i would see if he has a LHBS nearby. I'm sure they'd be willing to crush the grain for a nominal fee.

Latest posts

Back