Out of this World Galaxy Hopped IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Extremely hop forward with aggressive bitterness. Great body. Drink this FRESH!
galaxy.jpg

(Recipe is for 2.5 gallons, 3 gallons post-boil)
This beer really showcases how amazing Galaxy hops are. Drink this beer fresh. Don't age it. The malt is just a background singer in this ensemble, but the Carapils gives it nice body and excellent head/retention.

Wow - that is a boatload of crystal IMHO. Glad to hear you are enjoying the Galaxy though!

I have a Galaxy IPA finish up right now. Really looking forward to getting it in the keg.

It's basically Widmer's X-114 recipe. Crystal 20L doesn't add much even in higher quantities.

EDIT: Your recipe uses almost the same with Munich crystal instead of US crystal looks like.

I don't have any Warrior on hand. I do have some Horizon, Centennial, Chinook, and Cascade. Which, if any, of those would you sub for the Warrior?

I've not ever tried first wort hopping. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the different IBU contribution levels between FWH and 60 minute additions. I wasn't liking the numbers for the 8.3% cascade. I have 5 ounces of galaxy. I think I'll go 0.5 oz @ FWH, 0.5 oz @ 60min, and follow the 2 oz + 2 oz by the recipe.

I've not ever tried first wort hopping. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the different IBU contribution levels between FWH and 60 minute additions. I wasn't liking the numbers for the 8.3% cascade. I have 5 ounces of galaxy. I think I'll go 0.5 oz @ FWH, 0.5 oz @ 60min, and follow the 2 oz + 2 oz by the recipe.

That sounds good.

Where did you get your Galaxy???

mrgstiffler said:
Haha. Looks like they don't ship :(

Hopefully you noticed that this recipe is for 3 gallon post-boil.

Yes. Works out great. My main ferm fridge has a lager in it now. The other fridge, which will be lagering said lager in a couple weeks is shallower and will fit a corny keg or you guessed it, a 3 gallon better bottle. I might cut the recipe down to about 2.5 gallons.

Yes. Works out great. My main ferm fridge has a lager in it now. The other fridge, which will be lagering said lager in a couple weeks is shallower and will fit a corny keg or you guessed it, a 3 gallon better bottle. I might cut the recipe down to about 2.5 gallons.

I love my 3 gallon Better Bottles!

I just tried out my IPA made with Galaxy and it's a hit. It's pretty different from your recipe, but a big thumbs up on the Galaxy!

Using all galaxy all the way through mine came out harsh. The bitterness was rough with an unpleasant bitter aftertaste. It could be my water, I guess, but I have had this problem before.

jeepinjeepin said:
Using all galaxy all the way through mine came out harsh. The bitterness was rough with an unpleasant bitter aftertaste. It could be my water, I guess, but I have had this problem before.

I had the same experience in reference to the harsh bitterness.

Latest posts

Back