Brewpub/Meadery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The St. Louis Brewing Company (aka Schlafly) in St. Louis did their first mead, a blackberry melomel, this past winter. They have also done various ciders.

It's rare to see a brewery of any size also a winery/meadery because In most states, possibly all the regulations prohibit malt of any type, be it dry/liquid extract or malted grains to be in a winery under any circumstance. to produce both they have to have two completely, unconnected by any structure buildings. So for the smaller guys having two production facilities could be cost prohibitive. Unless ofcourse there is a loophole for braggots, which would be awesome. I've just not come across anything on braggots as of yet, but the reading is slow going because reading laws, regulations, licensing requirements is long and tedious, but eventually I will get through them all lol.

dogfish head in delaware serves meads on occasion. they're braggots.

It's probably only occasional because they have to use an offsite facility to produce it and limited to the batch quantity allowed but that is purely a guess and could be completely wrong.

I am not sure of the laws here in Michigan but the two closest brewpubs to me brew beer and mead. I am extremely lucky.

Dragonmead and Kuhnhenn

In fact Kuhnhenn's mazer Frank Retell won several awards at this year's Mazer Cup for his meads.

I have had mead at Milwaukee's Water Street Brewery years ago, bitty I have no idea if they still make it.

B Nektar has free tastings in Ferndale Mi. I think they're the third or fourth largest meadery in the United States and they're a mile from me. Hehehehehe

that's cool Yeastie, they just got approval from the city council on their new facility tonight, if you hear anything on their progress with state and fed let us know.

Where is their new facility going.to be? By.the.way, Ken Schramm has done meads with them too.

The "Heart of darkness" limited edition, would love to get ahold of a couple bottles, one to drink and one to keep for a collectable since Ken signed and numbered each bottle by hand.

They haven't published where they are moving to, just been giving updates through their twitter account about how the approvals have been going.

I've had the Heart of Darkness back in Feb for a B Nektar 8 course dinner/mead tasting. It was so heavy and full of flavor. Very tart and sweet at the same time. really good. It goes for $100 for a 375 ml bottle.

Back