Irish Moss Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
My IPA I brewed yesterday was to include Irish Moss but after a few too many beers while brewing I found myself at 5 minutes left in the boil but had forgetten about the Irish Moss! So I quickly just tossed a couple pinches of it in and let it boil only 5 minutes, not the recommended 15. Should I be worried about any off tastes or what not?

My IPA I brewed yesterday was to include Irish Moss but after a few too many beers while brewing I found myself at 5 minutes left in the boil but had forgetten about the Irish Moss! So I quickly just tossed a couple pinches of it in and let it boil only 5 minutes, not the recommended 15. Should I be worried about any off tastes or what not?

Nah, no worries. Worst case scenario you don't get as much clarifying benefits from the IM, but a few pinches of the stuff, even when thrown in at flameout, wouldn't be enough to affect the flavor. You'd have to toss in a few cups of the stuff, I imagine, before that fishy smell starts getting absorbed into the beer, and even then, I wouldn't be so sure.

If you use a chiller that is a good time to put in the Moss along with the chiller (last 15). I like Whirlfloc tablets as they have the same stuff plus other coagulants and work better than moss alone. Use 1 tablet per 5 gallons. They are available at most brew shops including B3 (morebeer.com).

I put some boiled wort into a small dish, with my tsp of irish moss at 20 minutes to the end of the boil. this rehydrates it so it can do its thing.
never used whirlfloc.

Back