Group Buy in Chicago #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KurtB said:
Bill - You got PayPal.

If this does not happen this weekend, I may have a problem picking up next week/weekend. If the pickup gets pushed to next week, hopefully somebody that lives out in the western burbs can grab my order (its just 1 sack of grain), and I can work out the detais with them to pick it up. I live in South Elgin, but work in the Villa Park/Lombard area.

Thanks,

Kurt

I live in St.Charles so I'm close as well.

Bill - You got PayPal.

If this does not happen this weekend, I may have a problem picking up next week/weekend. If the pickup gets pushed to next week, hopefully somebody that lives out in the western burbs can grab my order (its just 1 sack of grain), and I can work out the detais with them to pick it up. I live in South Elgin, but work in the Villa Park/Lombard area.

Thanks,

Kurt

I'm in the same boat as you...I live in pingree grove and can get yours if it happens before the 26th otherwise I may need some help myself, on vacation for 2 weeks after that.

Looks like 5 people still owe. Randar is targeting end of the week for funds to Bill for palate #4. Excluding that subgroup, the remaining buy has 91% of the money collected.

Choo Choo!! All aboard the grain train!! Choo! Choo!!

Looks like 5 people still owe. Randar is targeting end of the week for funds to Bill for palate #4. Excluding that subgroup, the remaining buy has 91% of the money collected.

Yes, I have collected about half of our funds and we have a club meeting Thursday where I plan to collect as much of the remaining as possible. :ban:

Hopefully I can put a cashier's check in a fed-ex envelope to Bill on Friday.

so looks like delivery on Friday is not going to happend, Bill do you think its better to plan it for next Friday 27th or you would prefere to get it in the middle of the week (assuming you collect all founds).
I would prefere Friday delivery Saturday pickup as i can be there on Saturday morning and help with hops and grains but if you go with midweek delivery i should manage to be at your place on delivery evening (7-9pm probably)

Yes, I have collected about half of our funds and we have a club meeting Thursday where I plan to collect as much of the remaining as possible. :ban:

Hopefully I can put a cashier's check in a fed-ex envelope to Bill on Friday.

maybe we can meet somewhere and I can pick that up from you. PM me if that's a possibility.

so looks like delivery on Friday is not going to happend, Bill do you think its better to plan it for next Friday 27th or you would prefere to get it in the middle of the week (assuming you collect all founds).
I would prefere Friday delivery Saturday pickup as i can be there on Saturday morning and help with hops and grains but if you go with midweek delivery i should manage to be at your place on delivery evening (7-9pm probably)

Looks like it wont be this week anymore. I have not heard back from 'astronomical' at all. does anyone know him personally? maybe you can get a hold of him for us.

If pickup is next weekend....the 28th or 29th is there anyone willing to pick up my two bags and oak since I will be out of town most of the weekend.

Looking for someone preferably in the West Chicago, Naperville, Aurora, Plainfield, Montgomery, Oswego area.

ylpaul2000, SHF, gsanstra,

Thanks for the offers. Once we know when the pick up will happen I may get in touch with one of you guys to work something out.

Kurt

I sent a second email to astronomical a few minutes ago. If his payment is not submitted by the time that Randar's payment is received, which should be on Monday, then the group needs to decide if we keep waiting or just drop him from the buy. He ordered 10 bags so the delivery charges on his order ($22.50) would need to be made up by the group. What's the group consensus on this?

I feel like we have all had ample time to respond with payment so far. Those who haven't paid yet let us know their circumstance and a projected date of payment. That being said I don't really care to wait any longer than it takes for "Randar" to collect his payments to process the order. With that response I don't see any other option but splitting the delivery charge among the remaining buyers, so I'm OK with paying my share.

I would like to see the order come to an end sooner than later, so I wouldn't mind a division of the $22.50 amongst each buyer. Another thought (which may not seem logical from the organizer's end) is to open up the purchase of those ten bags. If they can be PAID for by the time Randar is done, people can acquire up to those ten more bags. Whatever shipping cost on bags that haven't been paid for by the time Randar pays can also be split amongst us. I could be interested in a bag myself.

I feel like we have all had ample time to respond with payment so far. Those who haven't paid yet let us know their circumstance and a projected date of payment. That being said I don't really care to wait any longer than it takes for "Randar" to collect his payments to process the order. With that response I don't see any other option but splitting the delivery charge among the remaining buyers, so I'm OK with paying my share.

I would like to see the order come to an end sooner than later, so I wouldn't mind a division of the $22.50 amongst each buyer. Another thought (which may not seem logical from the organizer's end) is to open up the purchase of those ten bags. If they can be PAID for by the time Randar is done, people can acquire up to those ten more bags. Whatever shipping cost on bags that haven't been paid for by the time Randar pays can also be split amongst us. I could be interested in a bag myself.

I'm fine with either of these proposals.

Ditto ypaul2000 and ThirstT...I didn't anticipate this process taking ~ 6 weeks (not bmason1623's fault, he's trying to move it along)....I'd really like to be able to pick up my grain next week rather than try and make arrangements to have someone get it for me while I am out of town.

I sent a second email to astronomical a few minutes ago. If his payment is not submitted by the time that Randar's payment is received, which should be on Monday, then the group needs to decide if we keep waiting or just drop him from the buy. He ordered 10 bags so the delivery charges on his order ($22.50) would need to be made up by the group. What's the group consensus on this?

Bill, did you try sending him a Paypal invoice?

His HBT account shows no activity since July 9th, so he may be traveling?

I thought of that option as well, but I figured that once the quote came back the items were fixed. So we would have to purchase the exact order, and not switch anything out because that would change the pricing and we would have to ask for a new quote. I'm not sure if that is correct but I just figured that the quote was for any exact order and any changes to that order would require a new quote.

I'm another person who'll be out of town for much of August and so would much prefer to have this done sooner rather than later. I'm fine will a little extra delivery charge, and would also be fine with adding another bag to my order if we want to go that way. Basically, whatever will help get it done is fine with me.

I would say the delivery charge should be split as a % of the size of an individuals order....maybe that's just because I got 1 item though...either way it sounds like people want to move this forward.

I thought of that option as well, but I figured that once the quote came back the items were fixed. So we would have to purchase the exact order, and not switch anything out because that would change the pricing and we would have to ask for a new quote. I'm not sure if that is correct but I just figured that the quote was for any exact order and any changes to that order would require a new quote.

I would say the delivery charge should be split as a % of the size of an individuals order....maybe that's just because I got 1 item though...either way it sounds like people want to move this forward.

I would assume the actual items would have to stay the same as well, but if anybody needed:

Pilsen Light DME, Oat Malt, Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Pale Wheat, Distiller's Malt, Rye, Pilsen, Flaked Oats, or Flaked Corn

they could simply work it out with bmason to have him move that item to their own order. This would be the best solution. If all 10 bags could be claimed and paid for, then there is no problem. If they cannot, the shipping charges go up for everybody else, and the extra bags still would need to be cancelled off of the quote/order.

In the event the shipping charges went up a lot, I would agree with RC0032 about splitting it as a %, but with roughly $22 being split among 40 or so people in the group buy, it is not worth the extra time to calculate it as a percentage ($.50 or .60 per person is not a big deal in my mind).

Willpower fading... feeling urge to call dibs on the Astronomical's wheat should he still be MIA... must.. not.
The neighbor has had a 1/4 barrel of Oberon on tap this week and was asking me about a Gumball Head Clone. Anyone have a line on a pound of Amarillo?

All of the suggestions so far seem reasonable to me and I'd fine with taking any similar course. Also perfectly fine with waiting another week if that's what it takes.

Randar said:
Bill, did you try sending him a Paypal invoice?

His HBT account shows no activity since July 9th, so he may be traveling?

I just sent him a paypal request.

RC0032 said:

The delivery charge is being split among those buying grain only. Cleaners, hops, etc "ride" free.

KurtB said:
I would assume the actual items would have to stay the same as well, but if anybody needed:

Pilsen Light DME, Oat Malt, Maris Otter, Golden Promise, Pale Wheat, Distiller's Malt, Rye, Pilsen, Flaked Oats, or Flaked Corn

they could simply work it out with bmason to have him move that item to their own order. This would be the best solution. If all 10 bags could be claimed and paid for, then there is no problem. If they cannot, the shipping charges go up for everybody else, and the extra bags still would need to be cancelled off of the quote/order.

In the event the shipping charges went up a lot, I would agree with RC0032 about splitting it as a %, but with roughly $22 being split among 40 or so people in the group buy, it is not worth the extra time to calculate it as a percentage ($.50 or .60 per person is not a big deal in my mind).

Items can be changed; we're not stuck with astronomical's items.

Let's wait until saturday to see if I hear from him. But, let's see if we can get 10 replacement bags made up right away from other participants who can pay immediately. Does this sound reasonable?

bmason1623 said:
Let's wait until saturday to see if I hear from him. But, let's see if we can get 10 replacement bags made up right away from other participants who can pay immediately. Does this sound reasonable?

Yeah I'm down for that, like I said earlier I'd be in for one more sack.

Thanks for everything Bill! With a buy this large its getting to be a PITA.

RC0032 said:
Thanks for everything Bill! With a buy this large its getting to be a PITA.

It would be fine if people were actually serious about buying/paying for grain instead of doing things on a, for the lack of a better word, whim.

Bill, I should have enough of the funds received by the end of the night tonight to go ahead and send you the cashier's check tomorrow afternoon. Will try to get it to you as fast as possible.

Sorry again to everyone else for the slight delay in my group's collections due to me being incommunicado for a few days (and not tracking this thread as well as I should have been).

I think we should keep a running tab of who wants how many bags. First 10 (I think that's astronomical's quantity) that get added *and* paid are in. start the tabulation now, gents.

bmason1623 said:
I think we should keep a running tab of who wants how many bags. First 10 (I think that's astronomical's quantity) that get added *and* paid are in. start the tabulation now, gents.

I will get one bag of canadian malting superior pale ale malt. Payment will be on its way momentarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back