Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
Has anyone cut one open to use the guts. I would like to see evap. coils. I think the freezer would be better for my icebox/fermenter build(instead of a mini fridge) inside will be about 32 cubic ft. because I may want to use as as refridge sometimes/not just fermenter, I am ready to buy one this week. looking for pics or diagram

I don't know about gutting a chest freezer but I have seen a few builds on here where people have taken the units from stand up refrigerators.

my chest freezers are still intact, but i read a little trick on here somewhere that if theyre empty, you can open th lid and let it come to room temo unplugged. then leave it open and turn i ton a little while. the frost on the interior of the walls should outline where the coils lie. pretty sure that you will find the cold coils on all the interior walls.

if your freezer has no hot side coils on the back, then i think they are generally on the outer side of the walls of the unit. not sure on that one a good way to outline them, but for your application, not sure it would be a good freezer to start with unless its got an external hot side coil.

when i look at aparts diagram , the evap coil does not look to big

looks like 5 sides have evap coils . maybe not worth it .. no one has cut one apart?

Back