Midwest Supplies - won't order from them again (I TAKE IT BACK!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mward

Reaction score
I admit, I could be overreacting, I have this personality flaw that is violently allergic to stupid when encountered.

I ordered a stainless false bottom from Midwest because the plastic one I have is warped. It arrived today and had the labels affixed by packing tape. Did you guys know that neither naptha nor acetone removes packing tape glue? I spent 20 minutes scrubbing it off with a green scratchy.

Whoever is responsible for that is guilty of not thinking past getting the items labeled. Every customer who orders one of these has to spend time getting this goo off the false bottom before it can be used. Maybe if I had a can of goof-off I could have removed it easier, but I live in a small town, the hardware store is closed when I get home. So yeah, I won't be ordering from them again. :mad:

edit - man I am grumpy! I'm just irritated about this because it speaks of a lack of concern about the customer.

Relax brother just think of the muscles you worked getting you ready for the water and wort transfers on your next brewday. I bet if you called them to inform them so the next shlub dosent go through the same thing would make you feel better.

Cheers
JJ

Yeah you guys are right, I just wanted to vent. I emailed em.

I work in IT, end user support, all day I gotta deal with people who don't think about what they're doing... so it's a hotbutton with me. I need to relax and have a homebrew!! Thanks for listening.

I have had great luck with them.......Im sure they will respond to youre email as I have had good customer service with them.

How's that brew tasting :)

I've had good luck with them too, just recently ordered online and then had to call to change the order- no problems. They aren't my regular online supplier (due to where they are located) but I'd order from them again. On the other hand, it drives me crazy getting rid of adhesive from all kinds of things I purchase- just getting the UPC label off a pint glass is a PITA.

mward said:
Every customer who orders one of these has to spend time getting this goo off the false bottom before it can be used. Maybe if I had a can of goof-off I could have removed it easier, but I live in a small town, the hardware store is closed when I get home. So yeah, I won't be ordering from them again.
Try 144 salad plates each one with a sticker on it. I know just how you feel. Companies that package this way without regard to the consequences should be put out of business.:mad:

I love midwest supplies myself. I ordered my stainless false bottom from morebeer and it had the same crap on it. I feel your pain, makes me think that maybe the manufacturer is responsible for it.

ooh! ooh! my turn!

i bought a 3 gallon stainless stockpot a while ago and the bastages put a description label on the side of it that was just impossible to remove. i mean, c'mon, you're selling the product, take it easy on your customer! it's not hard to get removable labels for stainless steel!

i didn't use anything but soap, cuz it was on the outside and i was in a hurry. still a little bit of stickiness there, but it has come off finally in the three times i've used it. just too stupid for me to go through the trouble of taking care of :p

/end rant

I love Midwest. I place my AG order same time each week and they're flawless. Haven't messed up yet.

They seem like a bunch of blokes who love all-things-beer.

They've more than once contacted me on my cell to confirm something or let me know they are out of a certain yeast (in that case, they upgraded me to a WhiteLabs with no charge).

My equipment orders from them have been limited so I cannot speak to that.

I'd imagine that once they are aware fo the probelm, they'd work to correct it.

When it comes to ingredients, they are the lowest price I've seen and with only a 2-day delivery to where I am, they'll remain my #1.

Sorry bout the sticker thingy though.

They have some real Dumb-A$$es in the shipping dept. They put a 6.5 gal carboy on top of a fermentap and SS false bottom. It broke the fermentap and dented the false bottom. I popped the dent out and they sent me another fermentap so customer service is pretty good in my opinion.

But it's difficult to know who puts these lables on the manufacturor may have done it not the retailer.

Something that works fairly well and is inexpensive for removing glue is WD40.

Its funny you say that about their shipping dept. All the equipment that I have ordered for them has come in an extremely well put together package.

I think Midwest is a top-notch company. It seems silly to blame them for a sticker that they most likely didn't even put on the product. From my experience, their shipping has always been fast, their ingredients fresh and their customer service outstanding. More companies should be that good.

Well you guys were right, they didn't put the sticker on, the manufacturer did. They emailed me to let me know they'd pass my concerns along to the manufacturer so I guess I will order from them again. Thanks though, for allowing me to vent.

I agree that you may be over reacting just a little bit. I buy almost all of my supplies from Midwest Supplies and have nothing but good things to say about them. Looks like you've already sent them an email regarding the problem so at least they are aware of the issue now if they weren't before.

some of those stickers on on there when Midwest gets them from there supplier, I live about 20 minutes from there place and they are all a great bunch of guys

Hey I just had a rough day and that sticker was the cherry on top. Normally I wouldn't have gotten so wound up so again I'm sorry guys. From the reports here it's pretty obvious they have a universally great reputation.

abracadabra said:
Something that works fairly well and is inexpensive for removing glue is WD40.

There must be at least 1,000 uses for WD40......I often wondere what made WD40 superior to the WD39? I was told it was to be used on rocket bits and pieces back in the old days as a water deterrent. Never thought to really search for the truth but WD40 rocks.:rockin:

Yeah but would you spray wd40 on your false bottom? I'd be paranoid I didn't remove it all.

mward said:
Well you guys were right, they didn't put the sticker on, the manufacturer did. They emailed me to let me know they'd pass my concerns along to the manufacturer so I guess I will order from them again. Thanks though, for allowing me to vent.
Maybe you ought to ask the mods to re-title your post. Kind of a "I take it back" thing?

Couple people might see the title and never bother to read the replies and form an incomplete (bad) opinion on what most people think of as a real pro-homebrewer company.

Hmmm... I don't know any mods. Mods? Can you retitle my thread? Midwest supplies - I take it back?

the_bird said:
Done. ;)

How can you NOT know me? I'm gonna hit 7k posts before the weekend is out!

Ah man... I'm new in town. But your avatar is fargin cool.

Thanks for modifying it.

mward said:
Yeah but would you spray wd40 on your false bottom? I'd be paranoid I didn't remove it all.

Soap and water, PBW, Oxyclean or barkeepers friend will remove any oil. A new Stainless false bottom needs a good washing anyway.

Any kind of cooking oil will help remove most glues if the thought of a petroleum oil based product makes you nervous.

Back