Brewing 10 gallon BIAB in a 10 gallon pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Nyholm

Reaction score
I'd like to start brewing 10 gallon batches and also switch to BIAB, but I only have a 10 gallon pot. Is it bad to think that I can brew it similar to an extract brew and just add water to get it to the 10 gallon mark (assuming my O.G is correct after the water addition)? Or when you go with AG or BIAB, do you HAVE to do full boils in order to get the correct efficiency? I would mostly still be doing 5 gallon batches, but there are a few that i'd like to switch up to a 10 gallon batch, namely an Oatmeal Stout with a O.G. of 1.057. I should be able to fit all the grains and the majority of the water in there (maybe a 8-9 gallon boil with addition at the 45 minute mark and at the end of the boil) and then just top off with the additional water in the end? I know i'd have to account for boil off as well. Any pointers or if you think I should just skip the idea all together until i get a bigger pot, let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Dennis

I did search here and in the AG/partial mash for water addition and partial boil but didn't come up with much of anything! Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Can you do it? Sure.

As you said, you are basically making extract, then doing a partial boil. I would probably do 2 five gallon batches back to back instead, with full-volume, no-sparge BIAB.

FYI, I have a 15 gallon pot, and even that does not really have the capacity to mash a full-volume, no-sparge, BIAB, 10 gallon batch. It's big enough for the boil though, so after mashing I can drain off a few gallons into a bucket, and sparge with a few gallons. My next BIAB system will use a 20 or 25 gallon kettle, lol.

Back