problem with Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
I Have a 10 gal batch of hefeweizen that tastes a little sour. I pitched two packets of Safbrew WB-06 and it's been in the fermenter for two weeks at 70degrees F. Is this something that will get better with time? I brewed a batch a while back and had the same problem so I dumped it out. I thought maybe it was contaminated but this batch has the same problem and I doubt I'd get the same contamination problem in a second batch. Anyone have any ideas what I should do?
Thanks, Mike

did you get a good fermentation with that yeast? any big lags or anything that would have allowed some bacteria to get in there? at only 2 weeks, it's hard to tell if that will fade or not, but those types of flavors tend to stick around. maybe let it hang out on the yeast for a while and see if things clean up a bit and keep an eye out for any signs of infection (pellicle or bad smells, etc.).

Since android pretty well covered everything else...

Wheat can have a bit of a tang to it, is it possible its just that?

Another problem causer could be your water. If it has a lot of chlorine or chloramine in it, the yeast will react badly and cause some off flavors.

What kind of water did you use?

I filter my water and adjusted my water profile for this beer. Maybe I messed up with the adjustments. There wasn't a lag with fermentation, it started right away. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

I have a similar problem with my M.O./cascade SmaSH. Sour flavors.....Ive narrowed it down to water quality, ferment temps, or infection. I guess that isnt really "narrowed down".

Its a standard household water filter. Carbon I guess. This is the only beer I brew that has this problem.

Another week has passed and no inprovement. Any suggestions?

If it's drinkable, drink it. If not, toss it. Either way, give all of your equipment a good cleaning with PBW or another brewery cleaner. Replace and/or soak your hoses too.

Sorry, baer.

Chlorine would result in chloro-phenols which are medicinal plastic type flavors, not sour. How are you adjusting the water? Using lactic acid? That can give off a sour lacto Berliner Weiss flavor if you use too much. Or you have a lactobacillus infection and you inadvertently made a Berliner Weiss. If so, got get some woodruff and life is good.

Well I decided to dump it. It just wasn't worth the trouble of kegging it.

Back