Microbrew yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surface_Tension

Reaction score
I swung by the microbrew right up the street and asked it they gave away yeast slurry. They said yes and to bring a jar with water that had been boiled. I'm familiar with the yeast washing method in the sticky above so I've got that part down. He also said it would be highly aerated yeast. I told him I wanted to do a dobblebock and he said any lager yeast would work.

Questions:

Should I wait until I am ready to brew and pitch before I go get it? In other words, is there any way to store what he gives me?

What effect does it being aerated have?

How much should I get per a five gallon batch of dopplebock? I was planning on doing two different five gallon batches.

Is he right that any lager yeast should work? I'm assuming that what he said is partly true, but if I'm going to age a beer for four months, I want it to not "just work".

I'm hoping they can give me something of similar style to a wyeast 2206.

Thanks everybody. I did a search and did find a thread related, but if anybody knows of one, feel free to nudge me in the right direction.

Dave

Is he right that any lager yeast should work?

All lager strains have a pretty clean flavor profile. Some lean toward accentuating maltiness (833 maybe?) and some are a little more hop-forward (34/70 = 830). The big differentiator is the flocculence, which is why I prefer 838/2308. It's easier to work with a flocculent strain in a home brewery context because my fermenters, brites, and SVs get moved around, unlike the big guys.

A pint of yeast should be enough for two high-gravity 5 gallon lagers, so bring a quart jar.

I don't know why the yeast would be highly aerated unless they were getting it straight out of a propagation vessel rather than a fermenter cone.

Thanks for the inf. I was thinking about bringing a quart but didn't want to push my luck, so I just prepped a pint. Is a quart a lot for those guys, or just a drop in the bucket?

Latest posts

Back