First Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pschof

Reaction score
I'm going to do my first partial mash this weekend. I'm am looking to make this very simple. I want to make some sort of an English Pale Ale with a malty flavor. So, do I have this right---

-1 lb or 2-Row Pale = .6 lb DME

-if I want to add Munich, I should have a pound of 2-Row for every pound of Munich

- I can also expect to get .6 lb of DME out of 1 lb of Munich, so long as I mash w/ 2-Row

-I should mash specialty grains with the base grains, but they will not contribute anything to abv

I'm planning on using the basic method explained in various places on this board and on the internet (w/ sparge, etc.). I just want to make sure I have things roughly right in terms of substituting grain for DME. I know the board is full of "Does this look ok?" questions. Thanks in advance.

Download yourself a copy of BeerSmith for the calculations. It's an invaluable tool.

Some 2-Row (or 6-Row) is a good idea, but you don't need to pair Munich with 2-Row on a one-to-one basis.

How much extract you get per pound of grains depends on your brewery.

Crystal malts will contribute to ABV.

Munich has enough enzymes to convert itself so you don't need to match that with 2 row, but it becomes very important when using things like flaked grains and it's a good general rule of thumb to follow.

For an English brew you might consider using Maris Otter instead of US 2-row as your base grain. I like it so much I use it in pretty much all of my PMs, adds a nice malty flavor.

OK- how does this seem?

1 lb Marris Otter (or Pale 2-Row)
2.5 lbs Munich
0.5 lb Crystal 10L

(1 hour @ 148-153 in 1.5 Gallons of water)

Sparge w/ 1.25 Gallons @ 170

4.3 # DME
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min. (+ ½ tsp Irish Moss)
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Safale-05 Yeast

Cascade hops in an English pale? It is more like an American Pale ale.

Your efficiency of the mash will be the determining factor in how much extract to add to get your desired OG. You will want to know that anyway so take a reading before adding the extract.

Back