It's Growing Time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
It's been in the 80s for a few days (except today) and hasn't been below freezing for several weeks. Today I saw that my Willamette has grown up through the mulch, which means it's a good 6 inches already.

My last season was cut really short, so hopefully I will have plenty of time to get a good harvest this year. Now I need to find some more to accompany the Willamette, I'm not sure if the Cascade is going to come back, it had a hard time last year and got baked by the sun.

mine have been growing for weeks. hope the frickn snow won't hurt them. snow in south Ga. what the F!! it's not sticking but, still, snow in south ga?

Screw all of you... it'll be close to 2 months before I even pull back the mulch... BUT the upside is I can expand from 4 plants to 18!!!!
trust me... the SWMBO said so!

My growing season starts early and lasts long, but in the middle of the summer I have to watch out because the sun will fry my plants. I had two last year that ended up literally crumbling to dust. Even watering everyday didn't matter, the sun could dry up those leaves in no time.

Well with the Northern Nevada weather I dont even plan ordering till I can get them in the ground till early may. Sure it warm now, but it always snows and freezes at least 2 more times between now and then.

Yea I don't have any in the ground yet and I doubt I'll be seeing Rhizomes in the mail fora while yet.

My Tet and Northern Brewer have just started popping up as well. Going to have to get the new trellis done within the next month or so if these guys keep growing so quick. :)

I am waiting on the thyme garden to deliver. We are starting to warm up here too. It is not getting below 50 at night now and hitting the 70s in the day. This week is suppose to be a little colder though. I guess bakersfield hit 86 this last weekend :confused:

I can't wait to get mine in the ground.

Single digits last night and a high of 15F today. I think my hops will be dormant for a few more weeks. :)

On the plus side they will not get burnt by the sun. I didn't even water them last year and they produced a decent crop. This time of year, winter starts seeming a little long but I prefer that to not having any.

Craig

Your Cascade will come up, and not just where you planted it. I had Cascade shoots coming up in a 5 foot circle the second year. I think there was more root growth than bine.

I don't expect to see anything for another two months, the hopyards haven't even started cleaning up the winter debris.

Below zero around here lately. Highs of above 20F today and maybe by Thursday above 40F. But still we can get snow and cold for a few weeks yet.

As soon as our snow is gone, I'm going to get a sheet of plastic ready to cover our plants for when the frost comes.

Back