Re-Carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFDave

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but:

I bottled my batch into 7 1-liter PET bottles because I planned on drinking out of pints anyways. However, a lot of guys from work are interested in trying some. Thing is, I don't want to give away entire 1 liter bottles. Since my beer is already carbonated and is now conditioning, is it possible to open a liter up, pour it into smaller bottles and re-carbonate? Or will that alter the taste, body, etc.?

Why not just get some of them together and you can all have a sample of your brew? Then you can hear the praise of your superior brew or maybe not... either way you can have some too!

Just my 2 cents.

I've never tried this, but I suspect it will foam up a lot when you try to transfer it into other bottles (e.g., 12 ounce beer bottles), and you'll probably need to wait a couple of weeks for the carbonation to build up again.

Chill the empties and the donor bottle to the same temperature, as cold as you can, but not freezing. Open the bottle and pour carefully and without delay, trying to avoid foaming. Cap immediately.

Of this I am sure: It won't alter the taste or body; just the carbonation.

you could try gently rolling the bottle to stir the yeast up, re bottle with a very small amount of dex to kick off a recarbonation

For the most part I just tell people that if they want to try some they should come visit the brewery. Once you get a couple to show up you won't have any problem with this. Word gets around.

It's not selfish, it's a kind of hobby preservation. In the past I freely gave away bottles to pretty much everyone who asked, and ended up with very little for myself. I've started brewing three different times and only made three batches and gave it up because of this. This time I've kept most of it in house, and invited people over on an "any time" basis. At this point most people don't turn down an invite. I did give away a few sampler packs for Christmas, but that's pretty much it. Just my $.02

I would have everyone over but a couple of the guys live even farther from work so it would be a hike for them to come all the way out just to try some beer. I may arrange something but I was just curious if this was a possibility.

Latest posts

Back