"Steam" beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

au1991rx

Reaction score
Long story... Purchased a "California Common" style beer from AHS and followed the directions. I noticed it was a San Fan Lager yeast and thought it was cool since all beer I had made had been made with ale yeast. Well, 10 days later it is still bubbling (slowly). I got to thinking about temperature for the lager yeasts and tonight I go to the White Labs website and find my yeast (WLP810) and notice the optimum temp is 58-65F. Unfortunately it has been sitting in a basement with the thermostat set at 73F. I have been putting a wet towel around the bucket about every 2 days under a ceiling fan. I am afraid because of my inexperience my batch may have a bad flavor because of the high temp. The instructions did not say anything about the temp the primary should be at.. I should have checked sooner. I am looking for opinions about this yeast .. Will it have an off taste like wheat beers when they get too hot (been there before - I don't like banana)? I put the bucket in ice water tonight with a wet towel over it but it may be too late. Thanks.

RDWHAHB... The characteristic flavor of California Common is created in part by fermenting with lager yeast above the "optimum" fermentation temp. I ferment my Cali Common in the high sixties, secondary and bottle as normal (one week primary, two weeks secondary, three weeks bottle conditioning), then cold age in the bottles for a couple weeks, and it turns out pretty clean and smooth.

Back