Holy Stats Batman!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warped04

I am Wally
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now I know all of these stats are around in big books, and all of that jazz...But I am watching Sunday Night Baseball (NYM and NYY) and they are giving the BA for each hitter after the count (ie. Jeter was .254 with 1 HR and 5 RBI after 0-1 counts).

W O W...What's next. A side stat bar...What more could a baseball fan dream of?

I don't know. Maybe we can get carried away with stats. BA and OB% are worthwhile, but some of this stuff gets into Vin Scully territory.

"Ya know the DODGERS are 15 and 2 on Tuesday nights with a full moon."

The sample group needs to be large for a stat to be significant.

I don't know. Maybe we can get carried away with stats. BA and OB% are worthwhile, but some of this stuff gets into Vin Scully territory.

"Ya know the DODGERS are 15 and 2 on Tuesday nights with a full moon."

The sample group needs to be large for a stat to be significant.

That's actually not that bad ... and atleast Vin Scully has something relative and useful to say throughout the entire broadcast (remember it's just him, most places have atleast two broadcasters) whereas most other team broadcasters are either retarded (I'm looking at you McCarver and Harrelson) or drunk (Dave Niehaus).

Besides, I usually find that it's the casual fans that don't enjoy that stuff, but the fanatics eat that stuff up like candy. Also, with stats that show avg after certain counts, it shows the advantages of either the hitter or pitcher.

Back