when do I add the 1 percent ABV boost from AHS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MediaMikes

Reaction score
I am brewing a stout right now and ordered the extra 1% ABV boost from AHS, but it doesn't say when to add it.

I think I remember hearing at about 15 mins left to boil. I always chuck that in, stir like crazy, add the yeast fuel, then put my wort chiller in with about 10-15mins left.

cheers
zac

Okay, good to know for next time. Too late now, It's already in the primary 6.5 carboy. Probably best this way anyhow as I don't have a blowoff tube yet.

One thing that bothers me is that the instructions say the OG is supposed to be 1.056, but mine came out at 1.100. Is that bad? Did I mess this batch up? I followed everything to the tee and added everything it told me to and when.

Nevermind, I just figured out what I did wrong. I took a reading of it before adding the other 3 gallons of water.

zac said:
I think I remember hearing at about 15 mins left to boil. I always chuck that in, stir like crazy, add the yeast fuel, then put my wort chiller in with about 10-15mins left.

cheers
zac

Just wondering, why would adding the sugar mix 15 minutes from the end of the boil make any difference from adding it with the rest of the sugars at the beginning of the boil? :confused:

If you add a bunch of sugars in the beginning of the boil, the chances of caramelization and a darker beer go up. When you add your sugars at the end, you'll have yourself a nice lighter brew. ;)

Latest posts

Back