Hello from Anaheim, ca

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firepunk

Reaction score
Hello there,

My name is Jonathan and I am a complete newb. I came here in search of info on my airlock. I brewed up a batch of hefe yesterday and now I have tons of foam coming out of the airlock. I've never brewed before but it doesn't seem like this is too big of a problem according to the forums so that makes me feel better.

I'm looking forward to brewing up my own beer. Its something I have been wanting to do for some time now, and I finally got around to doing.

Welcome and good luck on planning the first brew. It wil be the beginning of a long obsession. :D

Welcome! It sounds like your brew is coming along fine. As for the foam out the airlock, you will probably want to replace the airlock with a blowoff tube - i.e. a tube running from your fermenter to a jar of santizer - until everything calms down. Good luck!

Welcome and Hurry!

Hey, you definitely need to get the airlock off and put in a blow-off tube like the previous post said. Like NOW! After a day or two the foam will stop and you can put the air lock on. I simply run a tupe from the fermentor to a bucket or pan. I don't see any need to sanitizer in the pan, but do sanitize the tube before sticking it into your fermentor. Also, don't submerge the tube into your beer. Just put it in, so when the foam rises it goes into the tube.

See yah man! I grew up in Garden Grove, CA, but live in northern Idaho for the last five years. Get outta CA as soon as you can! LOL

John Trappist

Welcome! I'm in Long Beach so we're not too far away from each other.

Where do you get your brewing stuff? Steinfillers?

Actually I got my setup in riverside at the more beer shop. My parents live in riverside and I was visiting them that day, so I figure I might as well just stop by the brew shop and pick up a starter kit while I was there. I do plan on getting everything else I need at steinfillers though. I don't feel the need to drive to riverside to get the equipment I need. I think my next purchase for homebrewing will be and immersion chiller, and maybe a carboy or two and some swing top bottles.

Once I get some more bottles I can justify having two batches fermenting at the same time to my lady.

Hey John, Im in HB and also new to the homebrewing thing, actually just brewed my second batch (a hefe) last night and didnt put in a blow off tube, so now im getting a little concerned, hopefully there isnt a big mess in my pantry when i get home. But anyways, yeah go to Stienfillers, there prices are reasonable and the staff is friendly.

I recommend buckets for the primary since they are much easier to clean, then personal preference on bucket or carboy for secondary. As for swing top bottles to bad you are so far away I would make you a deal on a bunch of them.

Welcome to the obsession.

John_Trappist said:
I grew up in Garden Grove, CA, but live in northern Idaho for the last five years. Get outta CA as soon as you can! LOL

John Trappist

I grew up in Westminster and I second the motion...get out!

:drunk:

Welcome to the forum.

:mug:

Brew Dude said:
Welcome! I'm in Long Beach so we're not too far away from each other.

Where do you get your brewing stuff? Steinfillers?

steinfillers! good store. im up in culver city now, with a store down the street.

Back