2 liter soda bottle kegging system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgreene7

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My plan is to use two liter soda bottles as mini kegs. I have built two mini taps, that fit the soda bottles, and that charge co2 from the little bike pump CO 2 cartridges.

I am going with this system just to give me the most flexibility, easy to transport, and i can serve lots of different beers, and cider at once. The soda bottles are also super cheap, and i can easily fit em in my refrigerator.

Does anyone else here do this?

Its basically a home made tap-A-draft, system.

keep those soda bottles in the dark. otherwise you'll be serving extra-skunked beer.

What do you plan to do? Naturally carbonate and dispense with the co2 cartridges?

I'm not trying to throw cold water on your experiment, Because that's one the fun things about doing homebrew. So let us know how it works out for you.

But I think over the long haul you'll spend more money on the CO2 cartridges than you'll save on soda bottles. By going with cornie kegs and a 5# or 10# Tank and regulator instead over a several year period you'll save money. But if you are not sure you want to do this hobby over the long haul this could work out well.

The break even point would depend on how much you brew.

Good luck! :mug:

i can get pics, of the taps. I found the deisgns on here somewhere. Theres two websights with directions.

Pretty much like the one linked below.

http://home.chattanooga.net/~cdp/3lkeg/3lkeg.htm

I think you are right about the expense, of the CO2. The plan is to naturally carbonate, and tap with the mini tap. If I am drinking the whole two liters in a session, I can even just use an air pump.

My first test with beer was very foamy, I am thinking about crimping the pickup tube to restrict the flow. When i used it with cider, it worked very well.

Try a longer dispensing tube to knock out the excessive foam. Your dispensing tube pressure drop needs to equal your dispensing pressure.

Try and find a few of those store-brand 3liter bottles; they might give you a little more flexibility for trips.

You might be able to save a little on the cartriges by using a paintball tank, but I'm not too familiar with them.

No need for taps. Just unscrew and pour. More simple.

DSC00359.jpg

yer mountain dew's gone bad! or...good!

how long does that stay good for after initially opening? Do you just reprime it with co2 after every pour? or at the end of the evening?

I do the same type thing, but I also have a keezer for at home enjoyment. When I go to friend's houses I bring 2-liters with those tire valve caps. I added an air-chuck to my #20 co2 line so I can always hit the bottles to 30psi, much cheaper than the disposable cartridges. I've made about 16 of those tops, so I'll put most of them in 2-liters, but also some in 16oz seltzer water bottles. Even if you don't have a way to dispense at home, it would be much, much cheaper to invest in a bigger tank...I've even taken mine on beach trips so I can force-carbonate bottles of homebrew on the go.

Back