Finally chosen first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonchrisw

Reaction score
So after weeks of research, I finally found my first brew. I am going to try a Mirror Pond Pale Ale. I have read a bunch of threads about these clones to get started. I went to the Deschutes Brewery webpage and found this information:

Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.050-1.055
Final gravity: 1.012-1.015
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale

Malt
NW 2-row Pale Malt
Crystal Malt
Dextrin Malt

Hops
100% Cascade

I put all the grains and hops into Promash and it tells me 8# Pale malt, 1# each of crystal and dextrin @ 75% efficiency will give me 1.053 SG. I was going to use 2 oz total of cascade-1.25 @ 60 min, 1.25 @ 15 min, and .5 dry in fermenter. This should give me 40.1 IBU.

Does this sound right to all you pros? Does it matter that I will be doing BIAB?
And do you think that this requires a secondary ferment?

So after weeks of research, I finally found my first brew. I am going to try a Mirror Pond Pale Ale. I have read a bunch of threads about these clones to get started. I went to the Deschutes Brewery webpage and found this information:

Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.050-1.055
Final gravity: 1.012-1.015
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale

Malt
NW 2-row Pale Malt
Crystal Malt
Dextrin Malt

Hops
100% Cascade

I put all the grains and hops into Promash and it tells me 8# Pale malt, 1# each of crystal and dextrin @ 75% efficiency will give me 1.053 SG. I was going to use 2 oz total of cascade-1.25 @ 60 min, 1.25 @ 15 min, and .5 dry in fermenter. This should give me 40.1 IBU.

Does this sound right to all you pros? Does it matter that I will be doing BIAB?
And do you think that this requires a secondary ferment?

Sounds good. That is 3 oz of hops total though, not 2. Also 8 lbs 2 row sounds a little low. You might want to keep some DME around to bring up your OG in case you don't hit it, or just bump the 2 row up to 9lbs.

They did the Mirror Pond on Can You Brew It on the Brewing Network. They brewed it twice because they weren't happy with the first clone attempt, I don't know if you listened to those shows but here's some links if you're interested. They usually talk to the brewer so there's always some useful info there.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/559

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/627

Latest posts

Back