just built a copper mash manifold,, how the eff do i remove the burrs from inside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
So thats about it. Made a round manifold, slotted it with a dremel and there are a ton of burrs and whiskers on the ID of the pipe. How do i get em out?

How deep are the burrs? If they aren't too deep you could use a conical or cylindrical burr in your dremel to remove them...they also have stones for dremel tools if I'm not mistaken. If they are fairly deep a long round file should do the trick

The problem is that the pipe is already bent into its final shape,, if i try and straighten it to use a file it may buckle. i was just in the garage fartin around and found my old brake cylinder flex hone,, has a 20" flexible shaft and 3 cutting stones,, so i guess ill pop that puppy in my drill and start reamin!!

I just left mine. None came out an if any did, they ended up at the bottom of the fermenter or bk and not in the brew itself so I have never found any...

Two manifolds (on two different mts) and over a hundred gallons and no huhu so far...

Im just worried about sharp metal particles chewing up the rotor on my pump.. but i spose a good shot of compressed air should take care of the really loose stuff

I just left mine. None came out an if any did, they ended up at the bottom of the fermenter or bk and not in the brew itself so I have never found any...

Two manifolds (on two different mts) and over a hundred gallons and no huhu so far...

I 2nd that.

I just made a manifold today. I used a long drill bit approx 3/8" dia. - a rat rail file would work too but I couldn't find mine at that particular moment.

It made The inside look a little better but not good enough for me. I went to the bench grinder with a wire wheel. Letting the wire wheel run the length of the slits really cleaned them up nicely.

I ran a metal rod down the inside to flatten them out, then folded 80 grit sandpaper in half and attacked the slots. Worked well, but my hacksaw cuts may have left thinner burs.

Back