Créme Brûleé Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raudhbjorn

Reaction score
Ingredients
7 Gallons of tasty water (not distilled)
1 Lb Rolled oats
1 Lb Wheat
5 Vanilla beans (whole)
-or-
1/2 Cup Bourbon Vanilla Extract
12 lbs Clover honey (2 Qts)
Ginger Beer Plant

Materials
1 five gallon carboy
1 large mesh bag
1 small mesh bag
5 gallon kettle
2 gallon kettle
Transfer hoses
Wort chiller
Thermometer
Keg (or bottles)
Linen carboy covers

Method
Bring Two Gallons of Water to a boil and add the oats in a large mesh bag. Boil for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and add water untill the temperature reaches 150 degrees.
Add Wheat to the bag and allow to steep for 30 minutes keeping the water at 150 degrees.
Remove mesh bag and dispose of grains.
Return water to a boil for 60 to 90 minutes, while the water is boiling begin the next preperation.

(omit this step if using extract)
Add all vanilla beans to one gallon of water and bring to a boil, reducing heat and simmering for 20 minutes Remove heat, remove beans from the water and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Split and scrape the beans adding them to the small mesh bag and returning the hulls to the water.
Add honey and to the gallon of water, stirring until mixed thouroughly.

After the wort has boiled, add the honey-water (and extract if using it) to it and transfer to the forst carboy via the wort chiller.
Suspend the small mesh bag of vanilla in the center of the carboy and add the GBP.
Top up with tasty water untill 5 gallons is reached stirring gently.
Cover the mouth of the carboy with a linnen cover.
Allow to ferment at 68 - 70 degrees.

After 5 days taste the soda for sweetness and check every day untill you get the right sweetness level.
Once sweetness is achieved, keg or bottle your soda and set aside to carbonate for 5 days, then cold crash to kill the yeast action.

Serve chilled in a mug or schooner.

I haven't made it yet, gathering ingrediaents still (you'd not beleive how hard it is to find five whole vanilla beans in Alaska). No ABV, GBP produces no alcohol. The Créme Brûleé Soda is just that, soda.

If I were to ferment for alcohol, I'd use a lager yeast. My calculations run out to an OG of 1.091 and an FG of 1.023 for an ABV of about 9%. Great, now I need to make a double batch, one with and one without booze. Thanks :D.

I haven't made it yet, gathering ingrediaents still (you'd not beleive how hard it is to find five whole vanilla beans in Alaska). No ABV, GBP produces no alcohol. The Créme Brûleé Soda is just that, soda.

If I were to ferment for alcohol, I'd use a lager yeast. My calculations run out to an OG of 1.091 and an FG of 1.023 for an ABV of about 9%. Great, now I need to make a double batch, one with and one without booze. Thanks :D.

FYI, GBP absolutely creates alcohol. It's been used for centuries to create alcoholic Ginger Beers. :mug: Where did you hear that it doesn't create alcohol? Here's a little blurb that gives some history about the weird stuff.

http://www.kew.org/plant-cultures/plants/ginger_food_ginger_beer_plant.html

That being said, I'm definitely interested to hear how it turns out. Please report back! :D

Arise from the dead.......Any news on this?

And--dumbish question--what does the wheat and specifically oats add to the flavour profile.

Raudhbjorn: I've never had that problem--either Carrs or Fred Meyers has them in the spice section, though they're expesive. You can also check local cookware stores...

Back