Yet another noob with repetative questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeaterbait

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a repeat question but I was not able to find it in searching. I am prepping to do my first batch in week or so when my equipment arrives. Since I was short sighted and did not add a test jar to my order, is there any reason not to take OG and FG directly from the brew kettle and bottling pale? (with a properly sanitized hydrometer)

people do that and if you're sanitary, it's ok, but it's a lot harder to read the hydro. i pull a small sample, put it in the plastic tube my hydro came in and read it in there. works great.

It does work, but I always think it's a pain. Maybe my plastic tube isn't as good as other people's, I don't know. Think I need to get an actual jar with a wide base or something. But yes, it does work :)

Hydrometers are very fragile, and putting them in the kettle or pail puts the batch at risk if the hydrometer breaks. There are a couple of threads dealing with the brewer's agonizing decision as to whether to dump the batch or not, after the hydrometer breaks.:mug:

Back