Double IPA Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Renaveg said:
I did this as a BIAB in a 15 gallon kettle and had very little room. I think the only way you could do it with an 8 gallon is if you sparge after the mash to reach your preboil volume. I also came up with a really poor efficiency, I think around 64% if i remember correctly, which sounds like it's a pretty common problem on large grain bill BIAB's. Next time i would add more 2-row and have some DME standing by just in case. Good luck!

With such a large amount if grain for BIAB, has anyone done two batches of mashing to get the wort and keep the efficiency up ???

bluemoose said:
Nah, but I'm wondering if I need to carb at a higher level ( vol of co2). Problem is the other beer on the system will be way overcarbed.

Were you able to correct your carb issue? I tried to force carb my 120 min clone and it just won't take, beer is absolutely amazing but a bit flat and a head that dissipates before I can finish my beer. I do drink out of 26oz mugs but I have no issues with all my other beers.

rorypayne said:
Were you able to correct your carb issue? I tried to force carb my 120 min clone and it just won't take, beer is absolutely amazing but a bit flat and a head that dissipates before I can finish my beer. I do drink out of 26oz mugs but I have no issues with all my other beers.

I have bumped up the pressure to 13psi. I figure I will leave it there for a week or so and try it again. Really wishing I got a setup that allows two serving pressures. I will on the next keezer.

I run at 10 normally but I forces at 30 for 5 days which normally gets perfect beer on day 6. But this one not so much. Does n e one else know if it needs more co2 for extreme hops? I got 11oz in 5g.

I just picked up the stuff to brew this beer today. I noticed I was given safale S05 yeast instead of S04. Should I take it back tomorrow and exchange?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I just picked up the stuff to brew this beer today. I noticed I was given safale S05 yeast instead of S04. Should I take it back tomorrow and exchange?

I don't even use these yeasts for this beer. I go with a nice British yeast like Nottingham. Your choice here.

Just brewed this recipe as my first AG batch and it turned out great. Thanks for sharing this one. :mug:

This is my favorite IIPA of all time. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that you can get that type of Malty complexity that DF90 gives off in smell and flavor from just Amber malt and 2 row. So what is it that makes it so distinct in it's wonderful malt flavor? Is it the Thomas Fawcett?

This is my favorite IIPA of all time. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that you can get that type of Malty complexity that DF90 gives off in smell and flavor from just Amber malt and 2 row. So what is it that makes it so distinct in it's wonderful malt flavor? Is it the Thomas Fawcett?

I use an old DFH90 recipe that is pilsner and amber (self toasted). Dead on IMHO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Speaking on yeast, I'm planning on using a slurry from my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (S-05). Any thoughts on the effects this will have vs the 007?

Thats good at least. Have you used 007? Is it a completely different beer? I mean I'm doing it but I just want an idea of what I'm in for.

I have had it with 07, not to much different, a bit more character to it, I prefer the clean finish of 05/56

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Okay cool, today's the brew day. We'll see how it goes!

It went well aside from my volume issue... I converted my burner to natural gas, drilled the orifice, and my boil-off was less than expected. I missed my OG by 13 points...
I'm optimistic because I think it would be pretty good with a little more bitterness.
But all that aside, it's in the carboy bubbling away with the S-05. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

You will be fine with a slightly lower ABV. This is my single most made recipe and I've screwed everything up on it.

I'm really disappointed in my first all grain brew. All my fault that I totally missed my efficiency. I adjusted beer smith to allow me to add to up water into primary because I only have an 8 gallon kettle. I forgot to measure my gravity before I added water. My initial volume was 4.75 I topped up to 5.5. According to beer smith my gravity should have been 1.089 however I got 1.062. I'm almost thinking of just scratching the dry hop addition and buy the grain and brew again.

Don't fret; It will be a very nice Pale Ale.
Count yourself lucky that you will have 5 gallons of great beer anyway!
Relax and have another home brew!

You can add some extra light DME to boost it. It's worth dry hopping as is though.

You can add some extra light DME to boost it. It's worth dry hopping as is though.

It's already in the primary so I don't think i can add the dme now. Given the lower abv do you think adding even more hops might make it overly bitter?

Dry hops are flavor/aroma hops. They won't impart much bitterness if any.

And there's no cons that I could think of to adding DME to up the gravity. It's just like adding honey or priming sugar, or other fermentables. Just boil, cool and add.

Thanks guys for the tips. I had no idea I could add dme during primary. Given my OG how much dme do you think I should add? Also I should boil for how long before adding it to the primary?

So according to my calculations I should add about ~3. 5lb of light dme for a 3% abv boost. If this is correct how much water should I use for boil?

It looks difficult. Idk how big your fermenter is but It looks like if you dissolved 4 lbs of DME in 1gal of water, you'd get a new OG of 1.078. That would raise your volume to 6.5gal... But you'd be boiling a wort with a SG of 1.168. You risk caramelization at that level (not to style). So if you were to take 1gal of water and 1gal from your fermenter, that'd lower your boil gravity to around 1.090. Boil the 2gals plus DME for 5 minutes, crash cool and dump everything in. And continue the ferment.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it practical? That's your decision.

It looks difficult. Idk how big your fermenter is but It looks like if you dissolved 4 lbs of DME in 1gal of water, you'd get a new OG of 1.078. That would raise your volume to 6.5gal... But you'd be boiling a wort with a SG of 1.168. You risk caramelization at that level (not to style). So if you were to take 1gal of water and 1gal from your fermenter, that'd lower your boil gravity to around 1.090. Boil the 2gals plus DME for 5 minutes, crash cool and dump everything in. And continue the ferment.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it practical? That's your decision.

Thanks! My fermenter is only 6.5 gal. I just double checked my primary and I have about 5.2 gal of wort in there. I am going to pick up 3lb of dme from my local HBS since it's the most cost effective option. Would removing 1 gallon of wort from the primary cause any issues since the yeast is mixed in already? I'm starting to think of just adding 2lbs to reduce the risk of caramelization.

If you're only boiling for that short period of time, I don't think it'd be much of a problem. The original recipe calls for a boil leading to just under 1.090. And that's over the course of 90 minutes. As long as you don't boil the 1.168 sg wort, I have good faith no ill effects will occur.

And as for the yeast, any yeast that get boiled will become basically yeast nutrient for the survivors left in the primary.

Once you add all the wort back to the fermenter, keep an eye on it for the next 24-48h. Hold ideal (maybe low range) temps, and maybe put a blow-off on just for good measure bc I'm sure your primary is already taking off.

P.S.: if you're gonna snag wort from your fermenter, better off sooner than later bc them yeasties are gonna start eating and making alcohol. Alcohol in a boil = lost alcohol :mug:

It's already in the primary so I don't think i can add the dme now. Given the lower abv do you think adding even more hops might make it overly bitter?

Look up a recipe for dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. You can definitely add fermentable at any time, you just have to be careful about how you do it.

Dry hops are flavor/aroma hops. They won't impart much bitterness if any.

There are bitter components that get extracted with extended dry hopping. This starts to happen around 5-7 days from what I can tell in my research about it.

Thanks guys I poured in 3.3lbs of LME since I wouldn't have to worry about the volume of mixing the dme with water. My primary has gone crazy since then. Good thing I aways use a blow off tube during the fermentation.

Sweet. Let us know how it comes out!

I took a sample from my primary today and I got a FG of 1.01. I haven't heard any activity on a few days. I'm unsure of what my FG should be since my OG was 1.06 before I added 3.3 of LME. I'm thinking about dry hopping in the primary because I don't have a spare secondary. Oh FYI the sample I took tasted amazing.

Yeah, I took a sample the other day from mine too, SG:1.016. I raised my temp up a bit to help the last bit ferment out and clean up. The sample tasted awesome. It's currently 7.35% ABV. I hope the gravity doesn't go below 1.010 because I love where it's at right now.

This recipe is great! I've brewed it twice (AG). My son and I did a side-by-side comparison; I couldn't tell the difference. He likes this version better! Will make this part of the rotation. Thanks for a great recipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Update, my SG is at 1.010 and its probably my FG. The Thomas Fawcett I ordered was a little darker than I expected 50L vs 35L. The color in the beer is spot on but the roast surely shines through. I like it. But at this point I wouldn't call it cloned because of this.

Yeah, if not it's not that big of a deal, it's quite interesting as it is. In a good way. Plus I've yet to dry hop so that may have something to do with it.

Has anyone used WLP001? I have a yeast cake opening up. Looks like it has similar attenuation as WLP007 with a high alcohol tolerance. Ferment on the low temp end. I would wash and re pitch since its in a carboy and I cannot scoop up some slurry. Thanks

Back