buckwheat malting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewdell19

Reaction score
How important is it to remove all the roots from the buckwheat after it is done sprouting? I have most of them removed and I guess if I spent long enough I could get them all, but it is time consuming.

Thanks!!

I'd say it'd be most important to remove the roots in order to grade the grain appropriately. Otherwise if there's a lot of variation between the kernels you'll get an uneven crush. If you're not too concerned about uneven crushing, or you don't intend to grade them, then I don't see a real reason to remove all the sprouts.

I found that when I kilned/roasted my buckwheat, the sprouts shriveled up and basically disappeared. But I only sprouted my buckwheat until the sprouts were like a quarter inch long or so.

I'd say it's important. They don't taste very good. You don't want to put that into your beer, if you spent all that time malting..

Cool... I got most of it off by putting it in a metal strainer and shifting teh grains around for quite a long time. I didnt mind I just watch some tv and had a homebrew or two. I plan on using the buckwheat at least as a specialty grain in my next brew. The quinoa I am going to steep in some water and get a feel for the taste before I use it since most say it is rather bitter.

1+ on the strainer method. I only grow them out about a quarter inch and dry at 90 overnight, then 160 for 5 hours. Then deshoot in a metal strainer. Kitchen Aid makes a nice big one with a fine mesh. If they are really dry they crumble off easily.

Back