is it Possible to make a 6L kegerator from TAD bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
Havent posted in forever, I am moving to a new place soon that will not allow me to get a keezer or keg sized fridge. so I have been thinking quite a bit and here is whats going on in my head.

converting the "3L keg" system http://home.chattanooga.net/~cdp/3lkeg/3lkeg.htm
mkeg5s.jpg

and using it on a TAD
6lkeg.jpg

or of course somehow modding the actual TAD system?

So, if I can get that translated over, is it possible to hook this system up to an actual co2 tank with the necesary stuff so it would be like and actual 6L kegerator

what im thinking about in my head is having the really small fridgewith maybe 2 or 3 6L bottles on tap at a time, with the hose running to a built in tower on top or on the door.

The advantage here is when I am gone I will have all the equipment already to creat a full sized kegerator. Im thinking the fridgesize like this
21QTJx0IyTL._SS500_.jpg
this one might be to small but its not quite tall enough for the conversion to a 5l keg

Thanks for any insight, and what is the most uses people average on the TAD bottles they say 6-10, how can you tell they are ready to be tossed? and also are the TAD bottles ok to use standing up (obviously the blue one pictured doesnt have a bottom.

To me, this seems like a lot of work just to have tap beer. I'd rather bottle, but that's just me.

I wouldn't suggest hooking one of these up to a CO2 bottle though. It's possible that it would explode from too much pressure. If I were using this setup, I'd use it like the original builder intended....as a portable kegerator. Carbonate it using a carbonating cap, then use one of the portable CO2 dispensing cartridges to push the beer out.

Here's what I use...you may like this better than the above idea.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-new-portable-kegerator-182045/

I dotn know much about C02, but I thought I could regulate the amount of pressure goign into that bottle? it may seem like alot of work on the front end but realy I would only be swtiching out the bottld 3 times, and in a 6l bottle its about 16 beers. I dont drink nearly as much asI used to, so 16 is gonna lastme at least 2-3 weeks. and like I said when I move to another place then I can move al lthe components to a larger setup, I just read the co2 capsules tend to only be good 3-4 days because the beer absorbs it, I figure it would be better having a big tank then a tiny one.

Anybody got an answer on my consideration towards the " regulating the pressure"

Considering their size, and being that I can only reuse the 6l bottls so many times, would I be better served going with one a 3gal corny? can these be dispensed on their sides?

Im still interested in the other idea as well from the standpoint of if its possible. What is the average height of the 3 gal cornies? anything wrong with this design I shoudl be aware of? I found them gor $70. as I understand it 3 gal are hard to come buy so when im ready to upgrade to 5 gal I shoudlnt have an issue selling them for minimal loss if any right?

new3gal.jpg

3 gallons are very hard to come by. I buy all mine new, because even used, you can only get them for $20-30 less. I just found a site today selling them for $102. I'll let you know where it is when I get home from work.

As for dispensing on their sides...no. It may work for most of the keg, but once the liquid goes below the diptube (about 1" away from the side) you'll have to tip it back up and then you'll stir up any sediment that's in it.

As for height- around 17" +the disconnects. So around 18.5" give or take a 1/2"

The one pictured is "pin lock" is there any disadvantage to pin lock vs the other style? Im assuming there are tons of threads on that question i may be in forsome reading.

Back to my original idea thouhg, is it possible to regulate the pressure, or is it not possible? IM assuming yo ucoudl set the pressure to the same of the little co2 cans and it wouldnt cause the bottle to explode.

Thanks for the insight

I see no benefit of pin lock over ball lock, the only difference is ball lock kegs are easier to find. So, if you ever wanted to move over to 5 gallon kegs, I'd go with ball lock since you don't wanna have to have two seperate systems.

As far as regulating pressure...the only way you'd be able to do that is by buying a regulator for a normal co2 tank or a mini regulator for the co2 cartridges. The cartridges aren't enough to keep your beer from going flat though, so you almost have to have a co2 tank.

I'm just not sure how much pressure those bottles will hold. If they'll hold 15-20 psi, then you should be fine.

Back