Strange smell in my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
I was racking my Barleywine to the secondary last night. I let it sit longer than anything I’ve ever made before and was both anxious to see what it tasted like and worried because it sat so long.

So, I made the transfer without an issue and brought the primary and autosiphon into the utility room to clean it. I took a little taste of the beer in the tubing and it was pretty tasty.

…but something was strange – it smelled like CRAP! Not just bad – like actual human excrement!! I was starting to get very worried that I’d have to dump the batch because a smell like that just CAN’T be good. It’s was absolutely overpowering!

After sticking my nose in the carboy and not quite getting the same stench, I finally figured it out. The smell wasn’t coming from my beer, it was coming from the RANK diaper of my (almost) 2 yr old.

Man, that kid can clear a room!

Haha- that's funny. My 14 year old can rip 'em and still clear a room. At least he's been potty trained for 12 years.

I'm so relieved that your beer is ok- that's the important thing!

Lorena

Back