Anyone have a Black IPA (Ale) Recipe (ST Inequity)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I slapped this recipe together on a whim:

7.5 lbs Ultralight Liquid Malt Extract
2 lbs Crystal Malt 60 - Steeped 30 min at 160 degrees
1 lb Black Patent Malt - Steeped 10 min at 160 degrees

1 oz Columbus Hop Pellets at 60 min
1 oz Bravo Whole Hops at 60 min
1 oz Cascade Whole Hops at 15 min
.5 oz Simcoe Whole Hops at 15 min
.5 Amarillo Whole Hops at 15 min
1 oz Cascade Whole Hops at 1 min
1 teaspon Irish Moss

1 oz Cascade Dry Hops in Secondary

WYEAST Liquid American Ale Yeast.

How did it come out????

Very dark and black and the roasted taste of the black patent was very slight.

If you can get your hands on some Carafa III Special (C3S), you'll probably get closer to the style that the pros make.

My recipe was improvised since I couldn't find C3S at any of the LHBS around here.

The style of Black IPA (or my preferred name, CDA for Cascadian Dark Ale) doesn't try to mask or eliminate the roasted malt but instead get it to "play nice" with lots of hops. Using the de-husked C3S, which is pretty much the darkest malt on the marker cuts down on the astringent taste of the dark malt.

By steeping black patent at 160 for a short period of time, it allows me to extract the color I was looking for but avoid most of the flavor. That said, the flavor was at least noticeable, but not nearly as pronounced as the professional CDAs I've tried.

I think in my next CDA, I'll use a 1 lb of black patent AND 1 lb of chocolate to try and get more roasted flavor in there... maybe some Crystal 120 steeped for 30 min.

Good luck!

Adding 1/2 lb of Carafa III or Chocolate Wheat to the steep will turn any extract IPA recipe in to a decent CDA. Both of those grains are de-husked, which avoids flavors that clash with high hop flavor/aroma levels.

Adding 1/2 lb of Carafa III or Chocolate Wheat to the steep will turn any extract IPA recipe in to a decent CDA. Both of those grains are de-husked, which avoids flavors that clash with high hop flavor/aroma levels.

I hadn't thought of using chocolate wheat, I imagine that will also give some nice head retention, no?

David, would you then say that a 1/2 lb of C3S at 160 for 30 min will turn out well? Same for chocolate wheat?

Yes, yes and yes. I really like chocolate wheat. The first time I ran across it, someone had rolled rum balls in it.

Back