Moving across country... WTF do I do with all this beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C4PNJ4ZZ

Reaction score
Don't post your address, I won't send it to you:cross:

I just got word that I got a job in San Francisco. The lady and I will be packing up after Thanksgiving and making the move.

I just finished school so my plan was to fly out and ship the bare essentials and buy stuff once out there (do I really need to drive across country with a couch from 1966 that my parents gave me? :))

I have about 350 bottles in various stages of conditioning. Looks like I need to have a party and enter some competitions (if my dad doesn't drink all my ambers and IPAs first). Am I supposed to ship all this godly nectar 3000 miles?

I also don't know what to do with my brew gear, I've got a nice PM set-up that lets me mash 6lbs of grain on the stove with no problem. The shipping is going to be a killer (maybe I'll ship it to AHS and have them ship to me for 7.99 ;)). What do you guys think? sell it all and start fresh? I might hand it over to my brother for safe keeping (and brewing hopefully).

I guess this thread was just to say... f*ck yeah! I got a dope job!

Congrats on the job, in times like these it’s nice to have one. I would take the equipment w/ you. I mean really are you driving? Find the room for the basic equipment, pack all the other stuff in the pots, etc. But if it were me, I would never leave my brew rig, it's what keeps me sane. Oh the beer.... Drink it you fool!
Cheers
Jay

how much stuff do you really need to take?

MLT, Yeah.
Boil Kettle, Yeah.
Capper, caps, small bottles of stuff: Starsan concentrate, fermcap-s, ect, Yeah.
Buckets, tubing, plastic racking canes? Nope. Good time to replace/upgrade.

Grain? F no. It's cheaper to sell it off and buy new. Or give it away and get some good brewing kharma for it. Hell, I'm about to move 400# of grain when I move. I'm tempted to sell it to a local brewer and buy more once I get settled in. And I'm only moving 4 miles.

Pack one case of the bottles you have, and leave the rest with your bro and pops. Label the **** out of the bottles and tell them to send you one once in a while.

'Grats on the employment.

B

Girlfriend! Theres no ring involved lol
I'm leaning towards flying, I'm 24 the only things I own are a bike, some beer and a bed (and all my vinyl). I'll have no use for a car in the city.

This depends on what you think is a lot of money for shipping. Starting with your brew gear, Put together a pallet of stuff. When you run out of room for your beer, give the rest away. If you know someone who has a UPS freight account this could be done for maybe $300. True, at some point the hassle and expense will out weigh brand new gear, but to leave behind all that beer....

As an after thought, your new company won't pay for your move? You didn't negotiate this into your hire?

I got a relocation bonus, flat rate. I see it as money in the bank instead of money to be used for moving. Which is most likely not how it was intended to be used :D. I was thinking about trying to ship a pallet, seems like the best route.

Whoever said 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' clearly hadn't predicted that anyone would ever ask that question.

: )

Whoever said 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' clearly hadn't predicted that anyone would ever ask that question.

: )

You're telling me its safe to DRINK this stuff?:cross: I thought we brewed it to put it in our signatures.

I just did the cross country move in reverse: Colorado to Mass. Most of the gear I had split with my buddy, so I traded my share plsu the other random stuff I had picked up along the way for 2 GABF tickets. I didn't have that much beer left, but I just gave it all to friends or whatever and got a few free rounds at the bar out of it.

I would say look into unloading your equipment if you can and then start over in SF use the money you would save from shipping and buy new stuff.

Have a going away party. Shipping is an option. Bubble wrap and then tape som newspaper around it.

That's how I shipped multiple bottles. Only had a few casualties.

Why not rent a small van and drive? It'd take 3-4 days to make the drive, but would be a fun one to make and you can drag more stuff than flying. With the cost of extra bags, its probably not much more expensive and you could always camp on the way. Its not the drive of a lifetime but it'll make for a great experience!

I'm 26 and moved to Ireland when I was 24, sold off everything I couldn't fit in 2 suitcases except my snowboard and skis which are at my parents house until I move somewhere snowy. When I leave here, I'll probably do it again, but it gets harder every time.

Latest posts

Back