Which Propane Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
Need some help figuring out which propoane burner to buy. I'm doing extract on the stove top but want to try full boils. Reading the threads here, seems like some of the bayou burners are the way to go. But I'm not sure if I should be considering other options.

Can you please give me your recommendations on the specific model that most of you use? If it matters, I think I will be using a 35qt stainless steel pot that measures 16.5 in. L x 16.5 in. W x 13.5 in. H.

Thanks!

I'm very interested in upgrading to propane too.. but I have an additional question, are propane burners alright to use inside, or should it be strictly an outside deal? (In a house for now, but in a few months I'll probably be brewing in an apartment..)

The SQ-14 would be perfect for that, and is also sturdy enough to hold a bigger pot should you decide to upgrade in the future. I've been using it for my keggles for months now and have nothing but good things to say. I got it from Amazon on sale for around $50 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted the wrong dimensions...my pot will be 15.5 inches in diameter and 11 inches high

I'm very interested in upgrading to propane too.. but I have an additional question, are propane burners alright to use inside, or should it be strictly an outside deal? (In a house for now, but in a few months I'll probably be brewing in an apartment..)

Outside only!!! Very dangerous to use inside unless you have a commercial hood or some very good ventilation in the area. These burners throw a lot of heat and a lot of CO, which can build up and kill you. Proper airflow is a must, but to be safe it's best to just brew outside.

I use the Bass Pro Shops Turkey Fryer Kit. Its a very strong burner, it comes with a large aluminum pot that i use for sparge water, and it holds full keggles with either 7 or 12 gallons of wort.

Outside only!!! Very dangerous to use inside unless you have a commercial hood or some very good ventilation in the area. These burners throw a lot of heat and a lot of CO, which can build up and kill you. Proper airflow is a must, but to be safe it's best to just brew outside.

Thats what I figured - guess I'm stuck with a stove for a long time.

Thanks!

I have selected the Hurricane Burner offered by Northern Brewer. I can run on both propane and natural gas with a switch of orifice and regulator. Also, if you intend to automate the burner down the road, the high pressure burners are going to be difficult to automate.

humm...so would brewing in the garage with the door open be bad still

I'm in Canada and brewing in the winter would be a pain unless I at least have a roof over my head. I could careless about wind but it would suck if it started to snow.

Hurricane Burner offered by Northern Brewer

+1.

The problem with many turkey fryers is that they are cheaply made and can tip over and so. I have the above burner and it's great. Very fast and freaking sturdy!

Garage with door open - does not have to be totally open but enough for air exchange.

a lot of municipalities restrict/ban the use of open flame burners in multi family housing units even townhomes to I believe 100 feet from any dwelling. Never use one inside the home or apt.

I have the SQ14 it holds a keggle no problem I also have the new style KAB4 works great but needed a slight mod to work properly. The burner is to far from the keggle worked great with a flat bottomed pot the keg not as well.

I love my Blichmann with the floor stands!!! Spendy YES!!! the reaction of people who see the Stainless Steel burner stand, worth every penny!!! that is my 170 dollar thought

I use the Bayou Classic SQ14 with the Bayou Classic 60-quart stock pot. Works great and not too expensive.

Need some help figuring out which propoane burner to buy. I'm doing extract on the stove top but want to try full boils. Reading the threads here, seems like some of the bayou burners are the way to go. But I'm not sure if I should be considering other options.

Can you please give me your recommendations on the specific model that most of you use? If it matters, I think I will be using a 35qt stainless steel pot that measures 16.5 in. L x 16.5 in. W x 13.5 in. H.

Thanks!

I have the SQ-14 as well, I use it with my 60 qt SS/pot it takes a bit to get 13 gallons of wort to boil, but 8 gallon pre-boil batches are great!

a lot of municipalities restrict/ban the use of open flame burners in multi family housing units even townhomes to I believe 100 feet from any dwelling. Never use one inside the home or apt.

I have the SQ14 it holds a keggle no problem I also have the new style KAB4 works great but needed a slight mod to work properly. The burner is to far from the keggle worked great with a flat bottomed pot the keg not as well.

Springer, would you recommend the KAB4 or KAB6 (I heard the new stands which are taller are actually the KAB6)?

It takes almost an hour to get 13 gallons of wort to boil in my pot I think the KAB4 burner is rated at 200,000BTU's, also do you see a way of modding the SQ-14 to fit the KAB4 burner?

Hurricane Burner FTW.

Rock solid, hilariously quiet (I actually forget this thing is on), insanely efficient and can easily be converted to NG.

I have a KAB6 but haven't actually used it yet. I've heard its a badass.

so i guess the conclusion is that there are several good options out there. I'm leaning toward the SQ-14...thinking it will use less propane. But I'm still undecided. Thanks for all the input.

I also have the new style KAB4 works great but needed a slight mod to work properly. The burner is to far from the keggle worked great with a flat bottomed pot the keg not as well.
Details on mods? I have this model and it works on my flat bottom but I want to upgrade to a keggle and do 10 gal batches :mug:

Springer, would you recommend the KAB4 or KAB6 (I heard the new stands which are taller are actually the KAB6)?

It takes almost an hour to get 13 gallons of wort to boil in my pot I think the KAB4 burner is rated at 200,000BTU's, also do you see a way of modding the SQ-14 to fit the KAB4 burner?

I like the burner very much its super quiet heats fast

Details on mods? I have this model and it works on my flat bottom but I want to upgrade to a keggle and do 10 gal batches :mug:

I cut the the stand above the burner and lowered it about 2 inches I also rotated the stand 180° .Much more stable with the keg

before
STA72898.JPG

after
solution.JPG

in action with the HLT

boil11.JPG

Didn't take long to bring to a boil 15 gallons of water.

boil7.JPG

when I go to a single tier I will by these for the rest of the unit.

and actually I am going to ditch the keggles . I feel the flat bottom on the pots heat the wort and water faster. I have a 15 and a 30 gallon pot

Didn't take long to bring to a boil 15 gallons of water.

boil7.JPG

when I go to a single tier I will by these for the rest of the unit.

and actually I am going to ditch the keggles . I feel the flat bottom on the pots heat the wort and water faster. I have a 15 and a 30 gallon pot

+1 for that, one reason I went with a pot/ kettle over a keggle.

Back